Can you point me in the right direction - 504?

Started by sbs, March 01, 2012, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

sbs, I doubt that anyone can tell you for certain just what would happen there, but that isn't because nobody else has ever done so, but because it is dependent upon the 504 procedures of the recieving district.

KWIM?

Certainly, the 504 plan will be reviewed by that district at some point during the first year in the district.  Some districts will do it within the first month, and others are more relaxed about it, and in some cases, there is an urgent need to address something that wasn't an issue (different layout, etc) in the previous environment...

It seems fairly standard that the 504 designation itself is kept at least temporarily.  The reason is twofold:

a) most districts find it simpler to just apply the procedural safeguards/procedure laid out in IDEA rather than constructing a separate set of procedures for 504 for the district (which the law DOES obligate them for-- they have to HAVE procedures, I mean);

and

b) effectively, an active 504 plan means that the student is considered to have such a disabling condition (using the language of the law).  Now, they may review eligibility.  But they can't IGNORE that it existed.  KWIM?

There is no 'stay-put' provision in ADAA/Section 504.  But in a de facto sense, that is often how it works due to point a) above.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview