FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: uKnow Peanut Test  (Read 42338 times)

Description: Anyone know what the hype is all about?

Lisa

Re: uKnow Peanut Test
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
I was dumbfounded that not only did my allergist know what Iwas talkin g about was able to do the draw right there! Although the draw was somewhat archaeic......blood stick is what I was told and then they proceeded to get a vial of bloof out of his thumb!   He was good with it but then again he is a tough kkid!

Offline Jessica

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
The local lab apparently can't do this for whatever reason. I'm going to have to call dd's allergist and see if they offer it or if not, find one that does.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline penelope

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
We had the test done.  Traditional blood work tests can pick up birch tree pollen allergy as peanut allergy.  My child had not had a reaction in years, never had hives etc.  This test looks at the specific components within the peanut that are known to cause anaphylaxis.

I wanted to know with certainty the level of my child's allergy.  If the result was not allergic then I was going to back off on all my work with our school on allergies.  If the result was positive then I would know that I really need to push for the safety of my child while at school.

Depending on your insurance you might be able to get reimbursed for this test.  Didn't the result we were hoping for but I'm glad we did the test.

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »
We just finished taking my son for his pre-appointment bloodwork.  The allergist included one the the elements that uknow test also test for.  The lab tested Peanut rAra h2 in addition to the regular peanut RAST test.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline Jessica

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
I emailed from the contact page at the uknow peanut test site to find out if they could tell me if anyone in my area offers the test. Nothing. That was about a month ago. So now, if our regular allergist (who always just tells us to avoid for everything we ask about as if that's always easy) doesn't offer it I'll have to call all over the place to find someone. I wish they would just let me know. :(
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
Jessica,
Could you not just have your family doctor or allergist order the same pannel for peanut that the uknow runs.  You can have the rAra h1, rAra h2, rAra h3, rAra h8, rAra h9 at a standard blood lab (or at least you can here)  Our doctor is having the rAra h2 run on the same requisiton form as the other RAST testing.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline Jessica

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
I don't know the technical specs of it. Only that the doctor said their lab can't do it. I haven't called the allergist yet. DD just had surgery so I will try when she's getting around better.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
I emailed again and they got back to me already. They said they'll find out if any labs in our area offer it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »
Does anyone have the actual CPT codes for this testing?

Wondering if insurance(s) are allowing this testing, or requiring pre-auth? 

Wondering if being denied by insurance as "experimental" or "not proven" or "because we feel like it" . . . ?

Wondering how Tricare (Standard) is handling?

Are allergists balking at referring for this test?

Are allergists on board with the usefulness (for some?  all?) or not of this test?

Are there official positions (published) about this test & we could get those links into this thread?

Regions/providers for this test?

~ ~ ~

Just off the top of my head, that's some of what I've been thinking about as to this test.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:30:53 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:37 AM »
I keep thinking about this test for DS2 who tests positive for peanuts (relatively low scores but consistent) who reacts with contact hives when touching peanuts in the shell.  Even my very aggressive allergist is hesitant to challenge as a result.  It's one of those tests that could bring certainity to uncertainity, kwim?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
I know only minimal information on the UKnow test.  I think it can cost up to $300, out of pocket, no insurance covers it.  I learned at the FAAN conference this year, for peanuts, scientists have identified 3 epitopes: Ara h1, Ara h2, Ara h3.  Ara h2 is the one that people are more likely to have long lasting peanut allergy.  I THINK according to the UKnow test, they will look at all the epitopes (not sure if I'm using this term correctly) and determine if your child is on the lower or higher spectrum of being allergic.   ??? 

OK according to the Uknow chart, they will tell you if your child is at risk for a severe reaction by isolating the antibodies (epitopes??) in your child and see if your child carries the one that is known to cause severe reactions.

http://uknowpeanut.isitallergy.com/look-at-results/

I've also read that allergists still don't trust it.  Eh  :-/

I'm concerned about it in the sense that how do we know if our child will go from not having the marker for severe reaction to actually getting it.  There is no way of preventing it so what good is a test to know whether your child has the marker or not if there's a possibility of having the severe one?   ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:35:53 AM by AdvocateByFate »

Offline Bobbi

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
According to our DD's allergist, the information will be extremely useful down the road to determine which treatment to use to overcome the allergy. Some treatments are/will be directed at one type of protein while other treatments work on others. That aside from knowing the likelihood of ana, from what I understand.

DD had her appointment about a month ago and he decided that it's not worth spending the $300 at this point. We already knows that she anaphylaxes and there aren't any treatments available at this point (aside from desensitization which isn't an option for us). So, we wait until the treatments start developing and do the test then to determine the right one for her.

Offline penelope

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:41 AM »
I think here's some things that will help:
1)Any allergist can offer this test.  There's paper work on the PIRL website that the doctors office fills our and sends in to set up an account with PIRL.  I filled out all the paperwork for my doctor and he signed it.  His office faxed the papers to PIRL.  The kit was sent to his office.  Any quest lab will do the blood draw for you.  PIRL customer service will help you find a lab if you don't have a quest lab near by.
If you have a lab slip from your doctor for other blood work there's no charge for the blood draw.  Otherwise, the lab may or may not charge you for the blood draw.
2) You pay for the test yourself.  You put your credit card info on the form.  After the test, PIRL will email you a receipt and you can submit a claim to your insurance company. 
3) There's the ISAC panel test which for the same price tests for 112 foods including the component test for peanut.  If you are living with multiple food allergies do the ISAC panel.
4) Lots more information on the text on the FB page peanut anaphylaxis cure.
5) I will look up the CPT code. 
Hope this is helpful!

Offline penelope

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »
More answers:
We tried first to just bring a lab slip to the lab and get this test.  Quest has some connection with PIRL/thermo fisher scientific.  The lab would not do the test.  You need the actual kit with instructions to do the test.  The doctor can do the blood draw if you don't have a lab nearby.  You need to do this test early in the week because the test is sent over night.  We did the test on a Tuesday.  Our doctor had the results on Friday.

We got full reimbursement from our insurance company only because all of our deductibles were met.  Insurance companies don't see it as experimental.

For more info here's a great blog from Onespot Allergy.  She even shares a copy test results. http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2011/07/better-peanut-allergy-tests-available/

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
i want to ask my dr about this.  I think it could help us a lot with understanding where my ds is with pa. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes