login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Behavior problems related to your child's allergies  (Read 7682 times)

Description:

Offline graciej69

Behavior problems related to your child's allergies
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »
I am new here and I was wondering if anybody had experience with your childs allergies manifesting themselves through bad behavior.  My DD is allergic to mainly peanuts and tree nuts.  We do out best to avoid everythign but as you all know this can be imposible. Sometimes when she has an allergic reaction she tired, mean, rude, she does not listen, she cries, imposible to deal with.  I give her benedryl and she is fine.  She also breaks out in hives but those come later.  the main problem is I am having a hard time convincing her teacher that her bad behavior is a direct reaction to an allergy attack.  She tells me that she needs to learn how to deal with her emotions no matter what the reason.  Have any of you dealt with this with your children and if yes what did you do???  I really need some help.  I am really at my wits end with this teacher not believing me.  Maybe I am crazy....thank you very much for your help. 

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Behavior problems related to your child's allergies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
My first question to you is... If you think that your child's behavior problems are caused by allergic reactions, why is she having them so often as to be a problem in school? 

If she's having frequent reaction-related behavioral issues, then you need to evaluate what's going on to cause the reactions - the behavior issue is secondary.  Plus, if you're right and her behavior issues are due to allergic reactions, then eliminating the source of the reactions should solve the behavior problems, too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

allerav

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »
Not sure if this is what you mean, but my DS6 has severe MFA (nuts, eggs, sesame, shell fish, etc.) possible ADHD and our developmental pediatrician suggested he may be reacting to certain foods that he is not technically allergic to but that nevertheless irritate his system.  He also has trouble controlling his emotions sometimes.  I sincerely think that SOME kids (not all) with MFA also experience developmental issues related to foods they are not allergic to but nevertheless create other symptoms. 

If you are interested in more information, check out Feingold.org.  I actually don't endorse most of Feingold, but thought its premise is interesting.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:27:29 AM »
Does she have environmental allergies as well?  I definitely notice allergy cup full crankiness with DS2 in that case, especially when he doesn't sleep well at night as a result.  Further complicating the issue was the snoring nasal drainage brought about.  It was further compounded by zyrtec syrup which brought a rather violent monster as well.

Might be something you want to speak with your ped or allergist.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA