login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergic reaction  (Read 3113 times)

Description:

Offline Linda94

Allergic reaction
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
I have a friend whose son appears to have a peanut allergy.  When he eats peanuts, he throws up.  It's not violent and no other symptoms.  Although, one time his face did swell. Her primary dr told her that since that is his only symptom, she does not need to have him tested nor worry about carrying an epipen. 
Now, I disagree. I feel at least have him tested to see what level his allergy is at. And from my understanding of peanut allergies, reactions can drastically change without warning.
I want to know "the experts" (those with the allergy), opinions on this.  Please tell me what you think and if I should encourage her to visit an allergist.
Thanks!
Ps. I am kind of new here. I used to visit this site years ago when my dd was young and new to her allergies. 

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Allergic reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
Because reactions can and do change, YES, she should have an EpiPen for her DS.  Plus, facial swelling is usually one of the symptoms one should Epi for because the possibility of throat/air way swelling.  Facial swelling and vomiting combined would be two body systems involved and would also be an indicator for Epi.  Here's a link to a plain-English anaphylaxis grading chart:  http://the-clarkes.org/stuff/ana.html

I would most definitely recommend she take him to an allergist.  However, "levels" on the test result don't really mean much - there is not a correlation between "level" and severity of a reaction.  A *good* allergist with food allergy experience will be able to give her a plan to follow so she knows when or if she needs to give Epi.

One other thought... How old is her DS?  Old enough to tell her any other symptoms he might be having?  Maybe the vomiting really isn't the only thing going on in his body, know what I mean?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
What she said. 

And you are spot on.  I'm glad your friend has you.  :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline vlnangel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
I agree with everyone.  When I was young (back before food allergies received the attention they do now), my only reaction to tree nuts was to "not feel well" and throw up.  It has since developed into anaphylactic reactions. 

Brianna

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
She should defiantly take him to an allergist. My daughter had her first reaction to peanuts at my sister-in-law’s house, but that the time no one realized what happened. My niece had given my daughter a peanut butter cookie and did not tell anyone when she broke out in hives on her face. I didn’t think anything of because my sister-in-law said that it cleared up after 30 min. A week later it was my daughter’s 1st birthday along with 3 of my nieces about the same time. Our family took a trip to the zoo about 2 hours away from home and during lunch time a family member had given my daughter a PB&J, and within minutes my daughter was in anaphylactic shock. The zoo had no way of helping us other than calling the ambulance. By the time security got to us my daughter’s body was full of hives, swollen, and had lost consciousness. Thankfully the EMT’s got to us in time, and we were transported to a children’s hospital. The doctor told us to never let her come into contact with nuts until we could have her tested.

I took the paper work from the children’s hospital to my doctor at home hoping to get an allergy test, but her doctor seemed unconcerned and said she would grow out of it in time. There was no need for me to be alarmed. I did not agree with the doctor, but continued to try and push for an allergy test.

We had more reactions later that year. Her grandpa kissed her on cheek about 2 hours after he had eaten a cake with pecans, in about 2 minutes her cheek had swollen and broke out in hives. I gave her a dose of Benadryl stood by with my phone in hand waiting to see if Benadryl was going to work. Thankfully it did. We have also come into cross contamination reactions with toys and people with lotion.  After all this the doctor still would not give her an allergy test or even send us to an allergist.  So I switched doctors and her new doctor sent her directly to an allergist to have her tested.

The allergist gave her a skin allergy test and it came back with a level of 4++ for peanuts and she was also highly allergic to tree nuts as well. We carry an EPI pen every where we go and Benadryl.  I think it very important for him to be tested or at least carry an EPI pen.