login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What caused this reaction?  (Read 18441 times)

Description:

Offline Mookie86

What caused this reaction?
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
I started having a rash on Friday.  Yesterday it was more widespread; it spread head to toe.  Today there are hives as well as the rash.  I don't feel sick, so I don't think it's viral hives, but I can't think of any new exposures:  same laundry detergent, soap, etc. and no new foods.

Might this be pollen reaction or some other environmental cause?

My allergy background:  penicillin and sulfa allergies, apple OAS, a lot of environmental and indoor allergies.

This is how my neck looked on Saturday.  I had this same rash all over my body.

Today I have some hives.

I have been taking 2 Benadryl every four hours.  The rash and hives get worse as the Benadryl is wearing off.

Any ideas?  Someone told me that the shape and texture of the rash/hives may indicate if it's environmental, food, or another type of reaction.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:17:34 PM by Mookie86 »

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: What caused this reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
Did you go somewhere different Friday?  No new foods at all?  No new meds, vitamins?  Even though you didn't switch brands of soap, body wash, lotion or laundry soap did you maybe open a new bottle of one.  Maybe they changed the formula since the last bottle?

Were you around any animals?  Do you have a pet that was outside or into something?

I would see a Dr. tomorrow, you probably need prednisone.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
wow that looks very uncomfortable!  I have no ideas other than high pollen count or env.?

I hope its better soon.  Let us know how you are.  I'm surprised that benadryl and a shower isn't relieving it if its an environmental thing.  My ds used to be very hivey like that at this time of year, but a benadryl and cool shower and staying indoors ususally took care of it.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »
DD tends to react like that.  The first time was before full-blown Grade 5 anaphylaxis (ingestion) - it started on her neck and then spread.  And twice since then just on her face/ears - once was a mystery and the second time was when she used a new hair spray.

DS has reacted like that once and it was a systemic reaction to ibuprofen.

If nothing else has changed, then my guess would be environmental for you.  Just had a thought - what about DH, has he used any new products?  Maybe just being in bed with him was enough to set you off?

Hope you feel better soon!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
Whatever caused it, it's finally getting better. I did round-the-clock 2 tablets of Benadryl for 28 hours.  Even with the 50 mg, I still got little sleep because I was so itchy.  I haven't had any Benadryl since 2 am, and today I have a lot less rash and fewer hives, and I'm only occasionally itchy.  I guess this is resolving on its own, which is great because I really didn't want to go on prednisone!  It's Day 4.

I wish there was a way to test blood and see what levels are high in it.  Then we would know what to test as potential allergens.  Too bad life doesn't work that way!  It would make things better for all of us.

I don't think there's any way to figure out what caused this reaction, so I'll just cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again!

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Spoke too soon.  After 12 hours with no Benadryl, the hives and itchiness are back full force.  I guess it wasn't a smart idea to cut it off completely.  Am I crazy to give this until Wednesday to get under control and then if it's not to go to a doctor for prednisone?  That'd be Day 5 of the reaction.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
Have you been in the sun for the first time in a long time?   If so, could be polymorphic light eruption (allergic reaction to sun exposure).

Otherwise looks like a systemic allergic reaction.

Another possibility is a viral rash (but not sure they are actually itchy).

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
It looks a lot like the reactions that I have gotten after contact with animals with urticating hairs, but I doubt that you've been around white fuzzy caterpillars or tarantulas lately...

Hope you feel better - I would probably go into the doctor.  They may be able to give you a steroid shot instead of a course of pred, and that should give you relief pretty quickly.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
 :rofl: no fuzzy white caterpillars or tarantula.

I took two more Benadryl at 2:30.  I slept and just woke up at 6:15.  They are virtually completely gone. Reaction definitely is subsiding.

Interesting about the light.  I don't think there's been a big difference lately in terms of light exposure, though.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
I have had that from laundry detergent, also from using sheets that weren't washed first, from certain deodorants, and from HEAT.  Is it warmer where you are these days?  Are you sweating more by any chance?  It doesn't even have to be enough for me to notice but increased temps can trigger it for me.  I hope you figure it out.  When I get like that sometimes I have to have prednisone or it won't go away for months.Thankfully I haven't had it bad in years.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
Likewise to almost all of those. That's also pretty standard for me as a sort of general overload reaction--high pollen season + disassembling dusty computers + kittens, for instance.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
I think you guys are right.  It might be an allergy cup issue if it isn't exclusively pollen-related.  I need to have 50 mg Benadryl all of the time or else it gets bad again.  With the two tablets, it isn't bad.  I will keep riding this out for another couple of days and hoping I can avoid prednisone.  I'll also be hiding out indoors.  Pollen is awful these days.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »
mookie, do you have any allergies?  and have you ever had anything like this happen before?  I would be out cold if I took that much benadryl!  LOL  I really hope you're better soon. 

I have had bouts with hives at different times in my life.  two or three times during teen years, I had head to toe hives (never figured out what it was)
a few times in college, I had hives, that persisted off and on for a few days.  I thought it was from stress.
Once I broke out from a medication I was taking after an operation. 

sounds miserable.   :heart:
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
My allergies are sulfa and penicillin drugs, apples OAS, numerous environmental and indoor allergens (tree pollen, mold, dust, etc.).  Only animal issue is birds.

When I became penicillin allergic a few years ago, my reaction was like this:  rash and hives head-to-toe, and it lasted five days.  Same deal of needing to take 50 mg Benadryl every four hours.  The allergist was threatening me that it couldn't go beyond five days or I'd have to take prednisone.

In college, I had my first allergic reaction.  I developed red spots all over me following taking a sulfa medication for a sinus infection.  It was not a prolonged problem or a big deal.

Yes, I'm very tired from all of the Benadryl.  I sleep basically all day, unless I get so itchy that I can't sleep.  I'm up now waiting to take my next dose at 11:15.  My feet are too itchy to sleep, and I see there are hives on them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:08:28 PM by Mookie86 »

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
Call the dr!!!  Prednisone is better than taking benedryl around the clock and being miserable!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US