FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New diagnosis: sunflower seeds  (Read 3513 times)

Description:

Offline vlnangel

New diagnosis: sunflower seeds
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
I've just been diagnosed with an allergy to sunflower seeds via skin prick test after a reaction to eating multigrain bread with sunflower seeds.  I've had TNA for my whole life so I'm used to reading labels, asking before eating, etc.  But sunflower is not one of the big 8 and isn't subject to the same labeling requirements so what foods have sunflower lurking in them?

Also I'm not sure if i'm also allergic to sunflower oil.  Anyone have any insight into a sunflower oil reaction and if that is as severe as a sunflower seed reaction?

Offline SilverLining

Re: New diagnosis: sunflower seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
Sorry to hear you're dealng with sunflower allergy now.  We have a section of the board for discussion about seed allergies.

You might find some information there.

Seed Allergy

(Hope that link works.  If not, go to the main page and scroll down to find it.)  I'm dealong with sesame allergy, but there are some other people here dealong with sunflower.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
I'm really glad that you found us!  Yes, we have several members who are dealing with sunflower allergy, including one adult who does.

It's a real bear given how poor labeling can be for allergens outside of the top 8; unfortunately, it often means calling manufacturers to find out what is really in something rather than relying upon the label.

Breads and crackers seem to be the highest risk, but sunflower, sadly, is the new "it" oil and protein, so it can definitely pop up unexpectedly. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline cmf

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:25:57 AM by cmf »