login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Coconut oil?  (Read 2551 times)

Description:

Offline vlnangel

Coconut oil?
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »
I have TNA (including specifically coconuts).  I'm wondering if anyone w/tree nut allergies has also had problems eating coconut oil.  I've always avoided coconuts but have never looked out for coconut oil.

I've had IBS-type symptoms as long as I can remember, which the doctors can't tie to any etiological problem.  I'm wondering if an intolerance/mild reaction to coconut oil is related to this.  Any thoughts?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Coconut oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Seems to me like it would be something worth avoiding on a trial basis to see, YK?

Some people tolerate oils/fats purified from allergens, and some don't.  There's not really much rhyme or reason to it, unfortunately.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline lmw

Re: Coconut oil?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
DD is pa/tna. For quite a while she would get 'cold'-type symptoms - sore/scratchy throat, runny nose, etc, and we never could figure out why, because it was never a cold....

It happened a lot on weekends, after she had been at friends' homes. We finally realized that the common thing every time was a certain food she ate at all the places. I took a close look at the label of their favourite chip dip, and it contained coconut oil.

She started to avoid the dip, and had fewer problems. After that, she started looking at the other times she felt like that - and things kept coming up with coconut oil, like hot chocolate mixes and cookies. And actual coconut.

Now we avoid anything with coconut oil in it. She did subsequently test positive to coconut.