FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: teen DD possibly allergic to dairy?  (Read 2203 times)

Description:

Offline eragon

teen DD possibly allergic to dairy?
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
13yrs old, always had sensitive skin, hives/ezcema to some  soaps, shampoos.

over winter, more eczema, but not severe iyswim. Hives this spring after sitting on grass. so suspect pollen /grass allergies. (not surprised with our family!)
kept on making a funny sound in her throat, and finally told me that its because it is itchy.

I made the connection to milk , and she agrees.

gave antihistamine, and after half an hour it disappeared.

No other symptoms, but does complain of tummy ache, but I previously put that to being a bit of 'girl' problem , now thinking about it, can see a pattern.
However no swelling hives etc etc. all looking her usual robust self.

so, next step ?  go back to gp and get reffered due to family history, or ask gp for blood test to check ige levels first?  or both?  ...........or, stick my head in the sand, or weep softly into the night?....
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: teen DD possibly allergic to dairy?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
At her age, I'd be tempted to just go with the flow.  If something bothers her avoid it, and if not don't.  I would suspect that with her allergy cup full from spring pollen, she may react to things that normally wouldn't bother her.  I would probably start her on a daily antihistamine to help with environmental allergies (and maybe even the eczema).

I also wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion it's milk.  My throat can itch from environmentals.  Since milk tends to make one's throat more mucousy anyway, it seems it could exacerbate the irritation already started from environmentals, too.  Hmm... I wonder if there's any OAS type reaction to milk from grass fed cows and those with grass allergies?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline eragon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I really want to just believe its tree pollen, but going from normal throat to eating cheese or chocolate or milk with cereal and finding throat hurting very quickly does make me inwardly wince.

came home frm school and ate a creme egg a friend had given her and said that her throat hurt and the underside of her tongue. it responded to antihistamine. so am well freaked out.  am going to get her sorted somehow. shame easter is around the corner....
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
I agree, those symptoms sound serious enough to warrant further investigation.  :(
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:16 AM »
Hope that it isn't a new allergy but it does sound like she is reacting to something. If she were my child I would bring her to the allergist asap
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
I would not pull dairy for eczema.  Most eczema (over 60%) is not caused by food allergies.  Your daughter has sensitive skin.  I have very sensitive skin and get eczema, too, and I don't have any food allergies.

if your daughter's eczema is caused by milk and you pull it the allergy could get worse and become potentially life threatening.  If she is tolerating it now and all that happens is she has some eczema I'd keep it in her diet, especially if she has other FAs.

I'd look at bleach baths and wet wrapping to treat the eczema if you have not already. 

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
I really want to just believe its tree pollen, but going from normal throat to eating cheese or chocolate or milk with cereal and finding throat hurting very quickly does make me inwardly wince.

came home frm school and ate a creme egg a friend had given her and said that her throat hurt and the underside of her tongue. it responded to antihistamine. so am well freaked out.  am going to get her sorted somehow. shame easter is around the corner....

that I would check with the allergist.  This is spring and I have been having asthma and EAs worse than I have in a decade.  There is a lot of pollen out there right now.  I can usually eat whatever I like but this time of year I get OAS and have to avoid some foods.  Is it possible your daughter is having OAS reactions?

Offline eragon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
could be. am going to get her checked out, but still deep in the middle of trying to sort out sons new health problem as well. this year is not going very well for us so far!!