FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Travelling without a parent  (Read 2245 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Travelling without a parent
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
Elmo will be going on a trip, staying in a hotel.

I need to talk to his teacher, but thought getting opinions here first might be useful.

Elmo wears a belt to carry his epi-pen in.  Two can fit in it.  I want his spare epi from school to be brought on the trip, but not sure if his carrying it or the teacher carrying it is the better idea.

At home, his belt hangs by the front door.  On his way out he grabs it and puts it on.  What should he do with it in the hotel?  Elmo suggested he hang it on the door knob.  My concern is, if one of the other students heads out first, they might open the door, and when Elmo leaves he won't see it.   I was thinking if he puts it with the clothes he will wear the next day, but I see a lot of problems with that...including that it has to be where the teacher can find it quickly if he is called into the room in an emergency.

So, anyone have suggestions?

Offline yelloww

Re: Travelling without a parent
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
Could he put it in his shoes when he is in the room and leave the shoes right inside the door?

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Love the shoe idea.  Can't go anywhere without your shoes.

If he were my child I would have him wear 2 and give 2 spares to the teacher.

Hope he has a great trip
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »
Can you get the 3M removable hooks in Canada? (You are in Canada, right?)  They stick to the wall and come off easily without leaving damage to paint or wallpaper - we use them all over our house.  If a hook by the door works at home, maybe get a package of the 3M hooks (if you can) and attach it next to the hotel door.  Then just snap it off before they check out.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
Those hooks are available here.  I've only seen ssmaller ones, but probably because I was looking for smaller ones.

I think the shoe idea would work for him.  I can even start that at home to get him used to it.

I'm also going to call the tour group.  They are very allergy aware and the guides may actually carry spares.  Worth finding out anyway.

Thanks for all the ideas.  I love this group.  :)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
We do shoes when we are in hotels-- or we hang them on the 'security' arm/hinge/latch (not sure what the exact term for that thing is) on the door, if there is one.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
I forgot to add that we have the shoe habit established at home already. Anything that must leave the house with ds goes into his shoes in the entryway. Started this when he locked himself out of the house twice in a week. Key lives in his shoe until he puts in the backpack.

We don't wear shoes in the house much, so it works for us. I try to keep just his shoes there for the most part so he's not looking through a pile of clutter for what he needs.

Offline QsMommy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
At camp DS hooked his around the handles of his duffle bag, so he had to undo his epi belt in order to get his change of clothes. 

When sleep at his cousins or grandparents he puts it in his shoe.

Ali
Canada

Offline Dewey

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
I always put things I need to remember in my shoes - keys, Epi, inhaler, etc. It definitely works!
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's