FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Would you trick your child?  (Read 5134 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

Re: Would you trick your child?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »

<snip>
It's a good sign that he's realizing how much different things could be with egg in the mix.  That means he's getting there.   :yes:

I just want to say that the realization that things can be different with egg is more than half the battle.  Hopefully, you will not end up with a child like mine who has only known not eating egg and thinks the world is just fine that way.  She does not see the world that even having baked egg would open up to her.  She is still adamantly refusing to eat items with baked egg in them. 

So I may have to resort to the trickery.  The one problem:  We've never routinely given her baked goods, so she'll be suspicous if I start pushing muffins on a daily basis.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline nameless

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »
Now, as an adult --- I would need to be tricked :)  Psychosomatic affects are real, real to the person. It's hard not to help it sometimes and it's mostly out of your control until you can trick your head back into what is real.

Not saying you should trick him, I don't agree with tricking a child...but double blind and letting him know it's double blind...I don't see why your doctor won't try it that way. I think they do double-blind but someone in the office does know what is what (just not the parent, doctor, nurse in with the  person).

That being said --- I had an adult friend who did desensitization for peanuts. They put the peanut in pudding so you just swallowed, no chewing. Why? B/c apparently the allergen still "takes like hivey weirdness" She noted she could eat small amounts of peanut from the study, but it was a horrible horrible taste.

I think there is something to being able to still taste the allergen...and then reacting based off the taste even if you aren't really truly reacting. It's a body/memory thing, no?

Adrienne

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline SpudBerry

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
Do you think you might be able to do both?  Warn your child that you will be trying to get them to "blindly" try the food - that some time in the next day or two, or week - what ever the time - that you will be secretly slipping some of the allergen into their food.  Explain your reasons, and see what they say.
Sherlyn

Mom to 12 year old twins - Ben & Mike
Baby A - pa since 7 years
Baby B - pa since 13 months

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Do you think you might be able to do both?  Warn your child that you will be trying to get them to "blindly" try the food - that some time in the next day or two, or week - what ever the time - that you will be secretly slipping some of the allergen into their food.  Explain your reasons, and see what they say.

Excellent idea!  It maintains honesty, but still leaves the element of the unknown and unexpected.