FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Another child has a reaction at school  (Read 5101 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

Another child has a reaction at school
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »
http://www.wsmv.com/story/16968018/child-has-life-threatening-allergic-reaction-at-school

I thought that Wonka labeled for shared equipment.   Guess not.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Another child has a reaction at school
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »
My DD has had what we thought was a reaction to a Wonka candy, too-- we no longer trust their labeling.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »
OMG. We have pixy stix that someone gave dd a while back but she never tried them. I'm going to throw them all out tonight.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline DrummersMom

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:04:11 AM »
Tyler's mom says his teacher even checked the candy's website and thought they were safe for him to eat.

The website states to read the package or there is a number to call. We do not allow teacher to make decisions of what is safe.

Once Wonka started labeling a lot of the candy with egg warnings, DS stopped eating things that we considered were once safe. We still allowed Fun Dip and DS ate 3 on Valentines Day.  ~) 

We have a large Pixie Stix in the cupboard that I will be throwing away today.

Offline starlight

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
Something to consider - this could be a reaction to something on the wrapper. Most people end up sticking the outside of the wrapper into their mouths.  Pixy Stix are often repackaged in facilities that repackage nutty candies and could've gotten contaminated that way, and by whoever or whatever else touched the wrapper before giving it to him.  The only other thing I'm thinking is, the flavor has 'Maui' in it. Maui to me says tropical fruits, like kiwi or coconut, which could be a new (or just up until this point unknown) allergy for him.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
Good  point.  And were there nuts at the party?  Were the hands of the person who distributed the pixie sticks clean or had that person just eaten trail mix or whatever?

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
My ds loves Pixie Stixs. Can't believe a reaction to Wonka. Glad the child is ok.

Offline maeve

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
Something to consider - this could be a reaction to something on the wrapper. Most people end up sticking the outside of the wrapper into their mouths.  Pixy Stix are often repackaged in facilities that repackage nutty candies and could've gotten contaminated that way, and by whoever or whatever else touched the wrapper before giving it to him.  The only other thing I'm thinking is, the flavor has 'Maui' in it. Maui to me says tropical fruits, like kiwi or coconut, which could be a new (or just up until this point unknown) allergy for him.

This is why we never allow DD to eat products that are repackaged.  I think it's Spangler or Tootsie that says on the their web site that only items packaged in their plants are safe.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
Wonka keeps changing the manufacturing processes which affects DS1 moreso than DS2, so it's all banned in our house as a result.  I just don't trust them (many people are realizing after mystery gluten reactions that their processes changed prior to the labeling changes).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
DD has had reactions to Wonka products.  We don't really trust them any more than we trust Kraft at this point, sad to say.   :-/   
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.