FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Blue Bunny Ice Cream  (Read 15810 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

Blue Bunny Ice Cream
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
I was looking at the Blue Bunny site and noticed that they have many products listed as "nut allergan free".  Has anyone called Blue Bunny?  Does anyone know if these products are safe?  Are they run on dedicated equipment?  I emailed them, but have not yet received a response.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Blue Bunny Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
I'll be interested in reading what you find out.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
I believe that this is the ice cream they have at Outback.  If so, I recall other members here saying they order tubs of it through their local outback because it is PA/TNA safe.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »
Outback = Blue BELL ice cream.

Blue BUNNY =/= Blue BELL.

Have no idea w/r/t safety of Blue Bunny at this time, but historically none of it has been safe.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Blue Bunny is made by Wells Dairy in LeMars, Iowa.  Are you contacting Blue Bunny or Blue Bell?

Here is allergen info from Blue Bunny, including info about equipment and cleaning procedures (I'd still call):

http://www.bluebunny.com/About/FAQ/Products.aspx
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
I just got off the phone with Blue Bunny.  I was told that there is no dedicated equipment or facility.  They do the allergan wash/dismantle equipment process.  I pointed out that labeling their products "nut allergan free" is misleading.  The rep agreed and said that they were in the process of removing that distinction from the website.  I am extremely disappointed, to say the least.    :(      I'm not surprised, though.  I am beginning to get used to this kind of disappointment.    I wish I could be one of those parents who are ok with the standard equipment wash procedure.  I have two friend with PA kids and their kids eat anything without a warning--regardless of manufacturer.  Neither have ever had a reaction.  But I just can't bring myself to do this.

I do know that Blue Bell has some safe ice cream, but it is not sold here in California.

FAs are so depressing. 
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Ugh.

Well, I am glad that they gave you straight information when they spoke with you, at least.

Not so thrilled about the (dangerously?) misleading labeling, though.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
From the above link...

The Quality Assurance Department reviews weekly production orders to ensure non-allergen products are manufactured first. When bulk flavors are produced, flavors are arranged in an order that prevents one flavor from being contaminated by the preceding flavor. If the possibility exists, an equipment washout is performed. In the rare instance where a flavor change is made on a novelty run during a shift, the same procedure is followed. Ordinarily, the same product is run on a novelty line for an entire shift; the machine is then dismantled, scrubbed and sanitized before the next shift. All Wells’ manufacturing facilities are Safe Quality Foods (SQF) certified.

This is the same policy/procedure that resulted in DS's anaphylactic reaction to breakfast cereal when he was 5.   :disappointed:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline gufyduck

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I wanted to add that when  I was new to allergies, I mixed up blue bunny and blue bell, and did have a reaction.  Not an epi reaction, but a definite reaction.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
Not sure if it's within your comfort level but we do use Breyer's All Natural Vanilla.  I know others here use other flavors as well but I just get nervous.  And more than once we have goofed and got the vanilla with egg in it - we are good at reading labels with new packages of food as a double check at home. 

I wish Edys/Dreyers would revoke their peanut free symbol as well.  Gotta love a good PF label on an ice cream that includes peanut oil (I know, I know oil doesn't cause a reaction for most but still...).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
We also use breyer's vanilla (all types of vanilla) and also ben & jerry's that read safe.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
Turkey Hill does not have any peanuts or treenuts on the line for the vanilla and chocolate. All add ins are done on different attachments. Unless something has changed since the fall, but my son eats this all the time. We also do Breyers vanilla and chocolate.

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Can those of you who eat Breyer's vanilla and Ben and Jerry's tell me why you feel comfortable doing so?  Do these companies label for shared equipment or have dedicated equipment?  Are their cleaning procedures exemplary?  I would appreciate any feedback.  THanks!
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
For me it's just based on track record and cleaning procedures. Normally I wouldn't be this lax but with ice cream there aren't any other choices around here. We are very watchful when dd eats ice cream. She is 16 and has been eating Breyer's Vanilla and safe Ben & Jerry's flavors for at least 8 yrs or so.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Jessica, thank  you for your response.  How do you determine which Ben & Jerry's favors are safe?
USA