Seeking official accommodations via the College Board (SAT/PSAT/AP)

Started by CMdeux, March 26, 2012, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Thank you so very much for this EXCELLENT and timely thread!!

Appreciated the corrections and nuance as to CollegeBoards, etc and 504 v. ADA & Title I/II!!

If nothing else -- my kids got as benefit from their time in B&M school:  504s on record.

;D

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

CMdeux

Gaaaaaaaa!!!!!

After nine-- count them, N.I.N.E. weeks, I now am the proud(?) possessor of a "case number" with College Board, who has still done a big fat NOTHING with this application.

GGA.

So the CSR that I spoke with this fine morning has...

submitted a flag for IMMEDIATE DECISION...

Yeah, I have my misgivings about that, too, but she assured me that they are "familiar with all disabilities"  (ohhhh... reeeeeeally??  You mean all the "real" ones, don't you?? auuuuuuuughhhhh.... greeeeeeeaaaat...) and that this won't result in an automatic 'yeah, never heard of it... uhhhhh-- NO,' verdict.

I'm just beside myself.  Naturally, all of my school's support staff is gone-gone-gone until mid-August, so if this comes back "no," then I'm completely onm my own to figure it out.  Well, me and the doc, I suppose.

Actually, in light of the foot-dragging inanity involving the 504C and the completely unecessary re-write of DD's 504 plan for this purpose, hey, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing, no??

~)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

yelloww

CMdeux

I was told that I "will have a letter within one week."

The gist was that I need to wait until then to bug them again.

Now, you know me.  I'm going to be calling them again tomorrow morning bright and early, since I must have misunderstood that part of things...   ;D

Western U.S.

CMdeux

Okay--

Approved for:

a) breaks as needed (with clock stopped)

b) snacks/medications available to student at all times.

NOT approved for "individual testing" which is what our school counselor had wanted to apply for (I'd argued that the first accommodation basically amounts to the same thing, which was just confirmed by College Board's CSR).

DD will be in a room by herself, with a proctor, and will have her medications available to her at all times, and can stop the test AT ANY TIME to evaluate symptoms.

WIN!   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

The form for the ACT, to be submitted at the time of registration (note in reality on the pdf there are exactly two lines to explain your  disability and accommodations requested with enough detail.  Two.

CM was this form available two years ago when you went through this? 

DS will be taking the ACT soon at a school that is not his--and not even one he's been at a speech tournament at, so he's not familiar with it. 

Explain your disability and clearly state the accommodations you are requesting with enough detail so we can make
arrangements with the test center.__________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(C) Accommodati ons Requested
If you would like to request extended time, do not submit this application. Instead, complete the Extended Time Application for
National Testing at www.actstudent.org/regist/disab/.
❏ Wheelchair accessibility, Test at a table instead of a desk
❏ Large-type testing booklet and answer document (the testing staff will transfer answers from the large-print answer
document). The large-type booklet is 18 point font.
❏ Marking answers in the test booklet (the examinee will have to complete his or her name, address, and other personal
information). The examinee may watch the testing staff transfer the answers after testing is complete.
❏ Permission for food/drink in the testing room
❏ Permission for diabetics to bring diabetic supplies/wear insulin pump
❏ Stop-the-clock breaks (the examinee will test in a separate room)
❏ Seating near the front of the room
❏ Written copy of the spoken instructions
❏ Visual notification of start, time remaining, and stop times
❏ Sign Language Interpreter, directions only. Examinee is responsible to bring his or her sign language interpreter.
May not be a relative. ACT will pay the sign language interpreter.
❏ Other ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(D) Student/Parent/Legal Guardian Signat ures
(Form cannot be processed without signatures.) I verify the information on this form is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any
documentation provided to ACT will be kept confidential, will be used solely to determine eligibility and will not become part of my score record.
Signature: Examinee _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Parent, if examinee is under 18 _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adding links:

http://www.actstudent.org/regist/disab/

National Standard Time with Accommodations
http://www.actstudent.org/regist/disab/opt1.html
Request this only if you can test at a regularly scheduled national test center under standard time limits and use either a regular type (10-pt.) or large type (18-pt.) test booklet, but require accommodations due to your disability. All scores achieved through National Testing are reported as "National." No details about any accommodations provided are reported.

Examples include:

assignment to a wheelchair-accessible room
large type test booklet (18-pt.)
marking responses in the test booklet
permission for diabetics to eat snacks in the test room

You must register for your preferred test date by the registration deadline. If you register online, print a copy of your admission ticket and mail it along with all of the following information in a written request. If you register by mail, include all of the following information in a written request with your completed registration folder and payment.

-Your name, mailing address, and phone number.
-The test option and test date you are requesting.
-The name, city, state, and 6-digit code for each of the test center choices you requested when you registered online or marked in Block N of your registration folder.
-Explain your disability and clearly state the accommodations you are requesting with enough detail so we can make arrangements with the test center.
-Enclose written documentation from your school describing in detail the accommodations you normally receive in school.
-The name and phone number of a school official familiar with your current test accommodations.
-Send all materials to ACT, Attn: National Standard Time with Accommodations, PO Box 168, Iowa City, IA,  52243-0168, postmarked by the registration deadline for your preferred test date. Requests postmarked after the regular deadline, but received by the late deadline, will be processed. Forms received after the late deadline will be processed for the next test date.

Note: In order to provide the approved accommodations, ACT may not be able to assign you to the test center shown on your admission ticket. If this happens, you will need to print a new admission ticket from your ACT Web account.

If you want to test again with the same previously approved accommodations, you may re-register through your ACT Web account or by calling 319.337.1270 (phone fee applies).

Because advance arrangements are necessary, students trying to test standby cannot request accommodations.

If necessary, ACT will contact you or your high school for additional information. If accommodations are approved, ACT will make arrangements for you with the test center.

http://www.actstudent.org/regist/disab/chart.html
Supporting documentation required:
If first diagnosed within last 3 years, complete documentation required.
Copy of test accommodations pages from most current IEP, Section 504 Plan, or official accommodations plan. If plan has been in place less than 3 years, complete documentation required.
If no current IEP, Section 504, or accommodations plan, include exceptions information and complete documentation specified on request form.
Do not register online or complete a registration folder.  OOPS--We did this.

Macabre

DS' APUSH exam is next week, and though admistered by the CB, it is at his school, and we didn't have to fill out the form at the CB site.  For his AP exams:

• he can carry his epis on his person
  • the proctor will have his cell phone
  • his test group is being put in the lecture room closest to the nurse
  • the food fest before the test ~) is PF.  Well, no blatant pns.  He'll eat from the two doz muffins I take. 

Macabre

Okay---this is WAAAAAAAY easier for the ACT than the SAT.  GGA. 

CM may have put these links earlier, but I'm putting these here for my convenience:

http://student.collegeboard.org/services-for-students-with-disabilities
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/ssd/application/eligible/requirements
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/ssd/application/guide
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/ssd/application/guide/guidelines

So there is no way he can take the June test on a lark--with accommodations, that is. This shows the dates for the current academic year, but I'm putting them here anyway to give reference for the future. I had no idea . . . .

2013-2014 Test DatesAccommodations Request and Documentation (Where Required) Must Be Received by:
SAT® and SAT Subject Tests™
October 5, 2013 October 6

August 16, 2013
PSAT/NMSQT®
October 16 and 19, 2013

August 28, 2013
SAT and SAT Subject Tests
November 2, 2013

September 13, 2013
December 7, 2013

October 18, 2013
January 25, 2014

December 6, 2013
SAT
March 8, 2014

January 17, 2014
May 3, 2014

March 14, 2014
Advanced Placement Program® (AP®)
May 5–9, 12–16, 2014

February 21, 2014
SAT® and SAT Subject Tests™
June 7, 2014

April 18, 2014

CMdeux

CM was this form available two years ago when you went through this? 

Not that I recall-- and I would definitely have looked.  As I noted up-thread, one of the more compelling reasons to go through what College Board puts you through is that the accommodations from them are forever-- and apply to PSAT, AP, SAT, and may transfer to ETS exams like the GRE.

Western U.S.

Macabre

Okay, for the ACT, we just had to submit that little form (we created a  fillable form of the pdf and had to create new fields to fit everything) and a copy of his 504 dated this past fall (I couldn't find a copy of the one that was revised in January :misspeak: ).  I also enclosed a copy of his latest ImmunoCAP results from January just for grins--to make sure there was no doubt.  His 504 says status was given based on 504 from previous school, and I didn't want there to be any question that it was needed.

What we asked for. 
--he be able to have two autoinjectors on his person during testing
--food free room, including the proctor (of course, if another student's accommodations include food, we fully understand)
--the proctor have a working, charged cell phone to use in case of emergency
--if DS thinks he's having a reaction, he has the ability to leave the room, administer medication and to contact 911 and/or his parents. 
--he not be singled out by the proctor of anyone else for his accommodations
--he be allowed to enter the room early to wipe down his desk before the other students enter

I don't think we'll get the last one. But it's not like his desk or anything else is wiped down in school.  But in school, it's in his 504 that he is able to move/change places if he thinks his location is unsafe. 

We didn't ask for someone there to administer because the school is 30 minutes away, actually down the street from where we lived last year.  Either DH or I will probably just hang out there. Also, DS doesn't have someone else who can administer with him all the time everywhere.  Unless he's passed out, he should be able to self-administer. If he can't, DH or I will be there. 

I mailed it by the first deadline, also the deadline for registration.  This is kind of funny--like "Send it by the registration deadline, but if you don't, we'll still process it, unless it's too late."

QuoteSend all materials to ACT, Attn: National Standard Time with Accommodations, PO Box 168, Iowa City, IA,  52243-0168, postmarked by the registration deadline for your preferred test date. Requests postmarked after the regular deadline, but received by the late deadline, will be processed. Forms received after the late deadline will be processed for the next test date.

Macabre

Quote from: Macabre on May 10, 2014, 12:37:31 PM

What we asked for. 
--he be able to have two autoinjectors on his person during testing
--food free room, including the proctor (of course, if another student's accommodations include food, we fully understand)
--the proctor have a working, charged cell phone to use in case of emergency
--if DS thinks he's having a reaction, he has the ability to leave the room, administer medication and to contact 911 and/or his parents. 
--he not be singled out by the proctor of anyone else for his accommodations
--he be allowed to enter the room early to wipe down his desk before the other students enter

What we got. Hmmmm. I don't think he wants a room by himself.

yelloww

Maybe they so the single room as part of the no food accommodation? I'd love to take tests w no one else there! My be it's not a bad thing. No distractions.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview