FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Seeking official accommodations via the College Board (SAT/PSAT/AP)  (Read 30827 times)

Description: (clearinghouse and step-by-step)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Seeking official accommodations via the College Board (SAT/PSAT/AP)
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »
OK, I received word this morning from the Spec. Ed contact at DD's school that we can still apply for accommodations from the College Board. She is requesting individual testing.  I think I should also ask that her meds and phone be kept with the proctor; I'd even suggest that we can put them in a Ziploc so that it's obvious that nothing else was brought in.

I need to contact the director of the school she's applying to, which will be administering the test, to see what accommodations they can grant. 

Any other suggestions?

Honestly, you may have better luck with "clocks-stopped breaks, as needed" rather than "individual testing" per se.

Yes, they amount to the exact same thing-- the student alone with a proctor-- but the latter, they seemed to want a LOT more documentation than we provided them with.  And I basically laid out what we gave college board.  Recall, this also included reaction history and DD's is pretty spectacular w/r/t rapidity and bizarre symptoms from really, really trace amounts.  I'd think that if ANYONE could qualify for "individual" testing, it'd be DD, since that's how her school has always done her state testing-- that is, it was a long-standing provision in her 504 plan, even, and College Board was unconvinced-- after 11 weeks.  (Which I realize you don't have).

I vote for "Clocks stopped breaks, as needed," because that one, they seemed to 'get' the need for (as in, to evaluate symptoms or check on asthma, etc.).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Beach Girl

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
Carefulmom,  at our school they are not taken at separate desks. Neither was son's AP test. The lecture hall consists of ten rows of tables.  Now, kids are seated far apart from each other. But they are tables.

Food is ubiquitous at our school unfortunately. :/

But DS didn't have trouble during his ap test. He doesn't have trouble going from class to class or sitting at desks in five different classrooms every Saturday at speech tournaments. So I'm not too worried that he needs to wipe things down. Though that was one accommodation for his ACT.

We'll see how it goes. Missing the deadlines for the SAT and the PSAT (he'll take the SAT before the PSAT, lol) were not what  I had planned, but I think will work out.

For college board tests, they can get in so much trouble for breaking the rules (sharing a table, having food out).  Food was ubiquitous at my high school as well.  Not for college board testing, though.  Too much to lose if they don`t comply.  I guess if no one knows to report it, then there are no consequences. 

Not sure who "Carefulmom" is....

Offline maeve

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
OK. so College Board had suggested speaking directly with the school. The admissions director took a week to get back to me (and only have I put a deadline with threats to escalate in my second email). She was not accommodating (pun intended), so we had already signed DD up for the PSAT and paid for the test. They will not grant accommodations. Parents are not allowed in the testing site. The other option offered to us was for DD to take the SAT in December as an alternate admission test. This would not be fair because she's just started taking algebra. The SAT would be beyond her capabilities now at age 13.

So can I send her into the test with her inhaler, phone, and EpiPens in a plastic bag and have her hand them to the proctor? The test is next Saturday at 8 am.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
That's what I would do. She has epis not Auvis?  If she she has Auvis I would just have her keep one in her pocket, a cell phone that is turned off  in another pocket and her bag with an inhaler to the proctor. And a wet one packet if she needs to wipe her desk down.

Then you can have epis in the car outside.

Otherwise doing what you suggested and hoping the proctor will take it.

Also, not allowing the parents at a testing site is ludicrous. How would they kick any parent out of a public school?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Frankly DS use to keep two epis in pants pockets. If she could find keeping one of them and a phone in pockets comfortable, she could have control in case she needed them.

What ticks me off is that she could have added anxiety about this (I hope not).

We are going into both SAT and PSAT without accommodations, but dS is not feeling anxiety. During the PSAT the school nurse will be there. Probably not during the SAT, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:55:35 PM by Macabre »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
That is what DD did for the ACT, incidentally-- I stayed just outside the testing room, and just sat there with my knitting the entire 4h.  The proctor knew I was there.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2014, 12:40:05 AM »
Frankly DS use to keep two epis in pants pockets. If she could find keeping one of them and a phone in pockets comfortable, she could have control in case she needed them.

I only have two pairs of pants that can fit anything larger than a small smartphone in them.... and that's because I buy boys' cargo pants.  Girls' pants don't have pockets anymore.   :tongue:
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
It sounds to me like there needs to be a concerted effort to get the Nat'l org to get it WRT anaphylaxis and LTFA accommodations during testing.

I know this is not helpful in the immediate for maeve's situation . . .

There needs to be some change on national level here . . .

(I know, in our copious free time, right?!)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
Well, there is a process for getting accommodations. But Maeve wasn't given enough notice to go through it, and I sid not have the time.

Really, DS is without someone to administer other than him (or friends who can work the Auvi) a lot.  In a way, for us, this won't be very different. DS is older, as are  most kids who will be taking these tests. They are off by themselves and with friends a lot.

Maeve's situation is unique in that her dd is having to take it at a  younger age for something unrelated to what they are normally used for. And of course Sky was also quite young when she took the PSAT.

But I don't know how this set up would be practically difderent for DS than sitting in classrooms during a speech round. He has at least five of those every Saturday at a different high school each week.

DS appreciated having accommodations for the ACT, but he's not worried about not having them for the SAT or PSAT--both of which will be at a differrnt school I relaized this morning.

Yea, the College Board needs to get on board, lol. But there is a means of getting accommodation. If they were more like the ACT protocol for getting them, DS would have them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:51:37 AM by Macabre »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »
DD is taking PSAT next weekend.  She is one year early to take it.  I contacted the guidance dept. at the school where the test is being given.  She is allowed to bring her purse with her meds and phone but the phone must be turned off.  All proctors are faculty who are trained to give epinephrine.  When she is assigned an actual classroom, that proctor will be alerted to her needs.

I could not have asked for more.

Our first experience is a good one.

Offline maeve

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
DD took the PSAT on Saturday (with tons of other 8th graders hoping to get into this STEM program). We put her EpiPens, inhaler, and phone in a Ziploc bag labeled with her name. She handed it to the proctor when she arrived, and the proctor quipped something along the lines of "hope we don't make you have to use these." I think it was likely in jest. All went well.  We'll find out scores in December and in January will find out if she makes it to the next round.

She thought the test was easy. Regardless of the outcome, this was good practice for the PSAT, SAT, etc. when they really count.  Our application for accommodations with the College Board is still being processed. The staff member, who's shepherding it for us said that once in place, that they'll be in place until a year after high school graduation; so there'll be no need to go through the process again in the future.

Thanks for the guidance, help, and support.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber