imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Jet Blue  (Read 11379 times)

Description: Mixed Nuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Jet Blue
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
Maybe in a bag that can't be secured cross-body during take-off?  That I could see a flight attendant asking to "hold" for a passenger, rather than allowing him/her to retain it.  But only during take-off or landing.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
I pop open the vomit bag, slide my epis in, then have them stuck in the opening of the pocket.  If it's not a firm edge on the pocket, I sit on them.  The case is pretty sturdy.

The last time I flew, DS was in a carseat, so I just slid the epis into a gap that his seat had underneath.  I put wipes there, too.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline maeve

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »
It's been a few years since I've flown (and I've not flown JetBlue) but I had no problem with the EpiPens being in my purse which was stowed under the seat in front of me.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline nameless

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
JetBlue does not serve peanuts to my knowledge. They will (usually) request passengers rows three before and three after to refrain from consuming peanut products all assuming of course all communication was done with JetBlue ahead of time. Although I've never had them serve other nuts while we were flying with them according to last I read their nut policy they do serve almonds on occasion I don't know how often.

I've never heard of flight attendants taking a passenger's epinephrine to hold for them. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Rather some sort of medicine bag that can be worn around the waist or a jacket pocket of some sort. Anything where it does not leave the individual who requires it.

One could hold onto them too. I usually have my wallet/string purse thing over my shoulder all the time when flying, I've held onto books, water bottles, have a pillow or extra sweatshirt --- lots of ways to have something out during take-off/landing.  I get the bulkhead seat thing --- but once could just put the epis in a pocket or waistband if the crew is being persnickety.

?
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
I had them in a small purse inside diaper bag.  We put diaper bag up and I held onto small purse.  Because they put us in front row, you are not allowed to store anything in those areas.  So he did hold it only for take off and landing. 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
Gotcha-- just a quirky thing with a particular flight crew member, then. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
Just found this on JetBlue's website:

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll/,/?St=307,E=0000000000179718763,K=929,Sxi=11,Case=obj(1600)

JetBlue does not serve peanuts and has no immediate plans to serve peanuts; however, we cannot guarantee that our aircraft or snacks will be 100% free of peanuts, peanut material or peanut products.

"Tree nuts" such as almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc. may be served on JetBlue flights. For a full list of our onboard snacks & beverages, Click Here.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
Excellent so far! They let us pre board and they knew who we were and made announcement not to eat nuts in our area!

twinturbo

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
Is it me or does this page look updated? Jet Blue:Help:Allergies

Inflight Accommodations

We cannot prevent other customers from bringing their own peanuts or peanut products onboard and consuming these items inflight. However, we ask that you inform the head Inflight crewmember upon boarding the aircraft of your severe nut allergy. Upon request, an Inflight crewmember will create a buffer zone one row in front and one row behind the allergic person to encompass a total of three rows. The Inflight crewmember will ask customers seated in the buffer zone to refrain from consuming any nut containing products they have brought onboard and will not serve any nut containing products to these rows. We cannot guarantee that a customer will not consume any peanut product they may have brought onboard.

We will not identify the allergic passenger during the briefing. We will offer to reseat passengers if necessary. While we will not serve any nut-containing products to passengers in the buffer zone, products that may contain trace amounts of nuts can be served within the buffer zone. We do not make any onboard announcements regarding the nut allergy.

Customers may request Silent Boarding at the gate to board early if they would like to personally wipe down their seat.

JetBlue will offer a full refund to customers for whom these conditions make it impossible to travel.

Emergency Procedures

Our Inflight crewmembers receive training and are *equipped to assist” in the event of an allergic reaction and symptoms of same. However, we encourage customers who have a food allergy to please make arrangements to the best of his/her abilities to be prepared in case of an allergic reaction or emergency during their flight.

*Our onboard Emergency Medical Kits all contain an Epi pen in case of an emergency.

Aircraft Information

As a key component in upholding the appearance of our aircraft, our fleet is subjected to several levels of cleaning on a regular basis. Interior cleaning, which addresses the lavatories, galleys, seating areas and all carpeted areas during each scheduled stop. On a nightly basis, each aircraft undergoes a more comprehensive interior cleaning process that includes more detailed elements and areas not covered during the routine cleaning during each stop. Such additional areas consist of, but not limited to: trays tables, side walls, coffee pots etc. The exterior of the aircraft, weather permitting, is cleaned on a 120 day cycle. Dry wash and polish are also on a 120 day cycle.

Customers may request to board early if they would like to personally wipe down their seat prior to departure.

Our aircraft are equipped with the following types of air filtration system:         

E190

There are 2 ea recirculation filters with HEPA* efficiency for filtration of recirculated air
There are 2 ea ozone filters for removing ozone from fresh air
A320

There are 2 ea recirculation filters with HEPA* efficiency for filtration of recirculated air
A321

HEPA* - High-Efficiency Particulate Air or HEPA is a type of air filter. Filters meeting the HEPA standard have many applications, including use in medical facilities, automobiles, aircraft, and homes. The filter must satisfy certain standards of efficiency such as those set by the United States Department of Energy (DOE). To qualify as HEPA by US government standards, an air filter must remove 99.97% of all particles greater than 0.3 microns from the air that passes through.

Although a reaction can occur on any airline the response to in-flight anaphylaxis is a huge problem.

http://allergicliving.com/2014/02/05/family-criticizes-airline-crews-response-to-in-flight-reaction/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:38:06 PM by twinturbo »

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
Not only were there no nutty snacks on Jet Blue this weekend, but they had nut free chocolate chip cookies:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140227005194/en/Skeeter-Nut-Free-Partners-JetBlue-Airways
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 10:08:29 PM »
Cool!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 07:39:16 AM »
Oh that is promising.  DD may or may not fly for the first time next summer.................................