Epi carriers--pouch or strap?

Started by eggallergymom, April 02, 2012, 10:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socks on a rooster

If it helps anyone, we have the child size of the above belt, but my 200 lb husband can wear also wear it. It's extremely adjustable.

ajasfolks2

Love the spibelts -- and if want child to only carry *1* epipen, then teacher/staff can have the 2nd one -- also CO-LOCATED with child at all times.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

AllergyMum

DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Mfamom

I think it is a good habit to have your epi pen with you and accessible.  My ds has epi belt and for sports practice etc he has a kit that goes in his drawstring bag.  it has inhaler, epi pen, benadryl and a peak flow meter. 
I think at school, the epi needs to be "attached" to them as cm and others said.  this way, no leaving behind etc
We still have additional epi pens in the nurses office and there are several "at large" epi pens in the building. (ds in 8th grade)
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

eggallergymom

Thanks, everybody! This has been hugely helpful! :)  I definitely want her wearing it, having read all of your comments and thought more about just how easy it would be for an 8 year old to leave the pencil case-style behind. I can just see that happening, and the district wigging out about it and pushing back on her carrying Epi at all. BTDT with these folks.

In terms of gym and recess--does your child still wear the Epi then, or do they hand it off to the teacher/playground monitor? I think that's what my DD is most concerned about--the carrier getting in her way during gym, or when she's playing with her friends. I know the gym teachers would take it, but am not sure how that would work on the playground. I also need to see the elementary school playground to see how big it is. Right now, the Epi comes out with them at recess, and sits in a bag near the door. Not ideal, but that's where we are. The gym is 30 seconds from the nurse's office and 45 seconds from the lunchroom (Epis in both) so we haven't put an Epi in the gym this year.

Thanks again! You guys are terrific.
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

joanna5

David wears his.  He does give it to either his dad or myself when he goes to extracurricular sports, but wears it for gym/recess.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

AllergyMum

My son wears his 100% of the time at school including gym & recess. 
Canada

bonestable

My daughter wears hers all the time, but it is a single epipen in a koziepi holder, so not as large as if she were carrying two Epipens or an inhaler for example. She wears it for gym and recess, but has got used to twisting it round to the side or back if she needs to.

AllergyMum

Interesting about all this talk about twisting it around to the back sometimes. 

My son wears his on his back all the time. He has never worn it in the front.
Canada

MommyOfTwo+1

DS2 has been wearing his kozi epi belt to school since he was 3 1/2.  Young I know but we role played with him, he was in a special class with few students.  He is now 5 and has never had an issue with it.  He puts it on when he puts his shoes on to go out the door no matter where we are going.  He wears it ALL the time the moment he walks out our door no matter what.

We got really lucky with our allergist that wrote on his school paper work he was ok to self-carry not ok to self-administer.  That allergist left and we had a bit of a back and forth with his replacement until the replacement contacted him to verify.  Thankfully the new allergist here in MD is ok with writing in again that he is ok to self carry not ok to self administer.  Now I just have to fight the school on it.

The school (which is only preK and Kinder) has never had a kid self-carry so we are now going through the process of talking to the nurse, the principal, the teacher, etc...the nurse wants to have a talk with DS2 about what he would do if a child tried to look at his epibelt and those sorts of things. 

Though it says he cannot self administer we gave DS2 the trainer and he has practiced a LOT.  I don't know that he could actually self administer but I feel confident he could walk someone else through the process if he needed to!

I hope your DD can find a carrier solution that she likes but will keep the epi from getting lost or left behind.

Marlena

Check out the newest epipen-carrier WaistPal undergarment belt which has no buckles and is quite popular among pre teens and teens. Not bulky design that holds one Epipen in the front pocket and the second one in the back. You can find them at omaxcare, epicarriers, or concealepipen online stores.

Andrea

I got the Waistpal for our son and he loves it. Bought it at amazon

admin rebekahc

Funny how these two "independent" guest posters have the same IP address. 

If you want to post about your product, please use the Commercial section of our board.
TX USA

my3guys

I saw this on facebook, figured I'd let you guys know about this carrier as a possibility.  I don't know anything about them, haven't tried the product.  I searched for more recent threads too, but this is what came up.  They have pictures showing the epipen as something that can go into these pouches.

http://www.therunningbuddy.com/

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview