FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Vegetable Oil  (Read 2091 times)

Description:

Offline jessma03

Vegetable Oil
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
What is a safe brand??
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

Offline Jessica

Re: Vegetable Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
We use Philipo Berio Olive oil (regular for cooking, light for baking) but I would probably trust Great Value if they were labeled as safe. There's another brand that was mentioned here but I can't find it anywhere and I can't find the post to get the name of it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Elliana

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
We have used Great Value for a long time, but now they all have peanut warnings on them (in my area, at least).  Since that brand from Canada stopped distributing here (Canola Harvest??) we're out of options.  I reluctantly switched to Wesson and we have had no reactions.  My daughter is PN/TN allergic.  IMMV...

Elle
PN/TN allergic
USA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »

We use Colavita extra virgin olive oil, and several varieties of canola oil (President's Choice, Canola Harvest, etc).

For margarine, we use Becel dairy-free/gluten-free.

p.s. don't buy cheap olive oil at the dollar store.. I read some brands are watered down with hazelnut oils, sunflower oils, etc..  always buy a reputable brand (do google searches on "olive oil scandals" for more info)

and if you prefer Italian olive oil, "Imported from Italy" doesn't guarantee it is Italian olives..  cheap olives from other places could be processed in Italy.. it should say "Product of Italy" 
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
For canola oil, we use Trader Joe's and also Kirkland (from Costco).  Both seem to label well, but with any TJ's product, it is wise to call to confirm if you are concerned about shared lines.

Olive oils we use supermarket brands, and always have-- Colavita, Berio, even Napoleon (which comes in a really convenient small size for travel)

We do not use margarine but do use butter-- Darigold, Tillamook (both regional brands)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.