login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ugh... dumb, dumb, dumb!! (me, at least, not DD)  (Read 6841 times)

Description:

Offline nameless

Re: Ugh... dumb, dumb, dumb!! (me, at least, not DD)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
clipped

Thanks, nameless-- and you are correct, it is a good idea to let them know that if I had been paying attention, I would have known to avoid the product.  Because it is labeled for XC.

No, that's not what I meant by it.  I meant...that if it's labeled as "shared equipment" and not "Contains traces of..." or "Contains..." then they should know to check the product/log it, etc. Their new premise is "good manufacturing procedures" so if it says "shared equipment" they are just letting the consumer know, but don't expect any of the allergens actually in the product.

That's what I meant, not that they'd point out to you they told you with a 'shared equipment' label....but that you could tell them, "Yes, you have cross-x and should label it contains" type of thing.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
Wow.

You and I.  Twins separated at birth.  So much.  Down to the uterine contractions.  Oy.  And the poppies analogy--spot on.

(((hugs)))

Sorry I've not been around for this.  Hope you're past the PTSD by now.  So glad you're okay.  That sounds very scary. 

I gotta say--an epi really does feel great. 

Not chiding.  Not at all--just wanted to say how good it feels.  Like the liquid benadryl makes things feel good down there?  Yeah, like that but all over.

:heart:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Just reading this ... so sorry to hear about your reaction CM.  Glad you are feeling better.

:grouphug:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
Thanks, guys.   :heart:
  I seriously thought about Epi, and so did DH.  We talked about it, but opted not to as long as things seemed to be getting better.

The diarrhea was non-repeating.  Definitely not like illness.

Poor DD got "egged" just a few days later, too.    Twice, no less, since I was 'kind' enough to reheat the leftovers for her the next morning...  (since she didn't tell me that there was any major problem the night before).  I definitely deserve a badmommy award for that stunt.  Though to be fair; she really should know better than to not tell us about vomiting/diarrheal illness.

:hiding:  But I swear that I read the bag.  Twice.  Turkey Meatballs, Foster Farms, and the label looked clear.  But her response (with, um... an N of two) didn't lie.  DH and I both have eaten from the same container about four times at this point. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Linden

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
Okay - just to be clear - for the sake of allergy naive people such as myself and any others who may be browsing this board in the future.

Each of us has different instructions from our doctor.  We should understand that CMDeux, you were following the instructions given to you by your doctor for you.  The rest of us have to follow the directions given to us by our doctors (and our Epi Pen plan if we have one) for us.  So if our doctor said use the Epi Pen for diarrhea then we *must* do so.  Similarly, if our doctor/Epi Pen plan says use it for feeling faint - we *must* do so *right away*.  If we are not sure what one of the symptoms is that our doctor told us to look out for, we should ask the doctor what he or she means.

I know the experienced folks on the board know all this.  I'm just reiterating in case someone who doesn't normally frequent these boards comes across this post.  I want to make sure that folks don't misinterpret this post to mean they don't need to use their Epi Pen when their instructions/plan call for it.
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
 :yes:  And "faintness" =/= "sleepy" in the context of a reaction, either.  Those are separate symptoms.

Just to be clear, "faintness" = IMMEDIATE EPINEPHRINE because that one is a clear indicator that BP is falling (or might be).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.