Nature's Classroom?

Started by becca, April 09, 2012, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

becca

Has anyone gone to any of their programs? 

I just called because my dd will be going soon, for a couple of nights, with school.  The person returning my call shares dd's allergy set, and spoke with confidence and understanding about the caution the chef uses with labels, alleergens, etc...  They are peanut and tree nut free, and serve sunbutter or soynut butter(one or the other) at meals as am alternative to the main choice and peanut butter.  She was reassuring, in that she understood the allergies and feels very comfortable eating there as well.  Took dd's name, to keep a lookout for her when they go. 

Dd's teacher will also be there, and she is 12 now and pretty self-sufficient with her allergies. 

It sounds like a safe and empowering experience, upfront.  let's hope it turns out to truly be so! 

Anyone have any experience with this organization?

Becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hedgehog

YES!  Our 6th graders (where I sub) leave tomorrow, but I went as a chaperone 2 years ago when DS went.  It is fantastic!!  Since I was there, it was easy to double-check food with the kitchen.  (It was also a relief that another chaperone was an EMT who personally knew DS, and sat with him at meals, so mom would not have to hover.) 

I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be if not there in person, plus it might vary from one location to another.  But it is really a very inclusive type of thing, and from my experience, they try to do what is necessary to keep kids safe and included.
USA

becca

Thanks!  It sounded that way.  The woman on the phone said they have an adult at the table, and try to notice if everyone eats well, or if some don't.  Even if it is preferences, they do not let anyone go hungry.  She added, if we have to feed her an ice cream sandwich for dinner to be safe, we will.  We will not have anyone go hungry.  Dd is very picky(well, plain, and bland palate, but healthy foods).  So, lasagna or chili would not be something she would touch.  But preferences are different than allergies.  They say there is a big salad bar at lunch and dinner and bread and sunbutter for options.  So she should be ok.  One concern is raw egg(mayo) in things at a salad bar).  But again, she said to be sure dd will speak up to an adult if she cannot find food to eat. 

I might still send some stash(she gets her braces a few days before).  Maybe to be sure she has safe *soft* stuff, just in case.  Oatmeal packets and ramen or something.  its just a couple of days. 

FAs aside, it looks so fun!  Dd is very social and is very excited.  She is also my outdoorsy, sporty child.  So, she really will make the most of it, I think!  Her teacher will be there, but no parents, other than a few men for boys cabin(there are only 3 female teachers, so they have 3 dad's for overnight). 

They are only going 2 nights, and I think there is so much staff there is only a need for an adult in the cabins at night.  So, the 3 female teachers and thre men. 

It is 30-35 mins from home, so I am not worried.  I can get there so quickly!

hedgehog

Our school goes for 4 days.  And the entire 6th grade goes, so over 150 kids I think. They have 2 adults per cabin, and if I remember right, that is 24 kids.  My cabin-mate and I caught two of our girls sneaking out at night. We were in on all the excitement.  We were also the ones who found a still-smoldering campfire left unattended.  The head guy probably was happy to see us leave. 
USA

becca

Makes sense then.  Our entire grade is half that size.  Three classes of aorund 25 each. 

becca

Janelle205

In case anyone else looks here and needs a resource (I've talked about a few things with becca over pm) I used to work at an Outdoor Ed facility that did these types of programs.  I started as an instructor, but was eventually the assistant director and then the director, so I've seen it from the bottom up.  I wanted to share a few things in case anyone needs it as a resource - these programs are relatively common where I live.  If anyone wants more specific info, go ahead and message me.

In regards to bringing food, when I was the director, not many kids at all brought food. (Please note that I often held parent meetings at the schools before kids came, and I know that some of the kids with allergies didn't bring food because their parents were more comfortable after talking with me - most facilities don't have a director with MFA.)  Kids that brought their own were mostly ones with multiple food allergies - like mine.  I mostly made my own food at camp, but there were a few things that I could eat.  The only time I had a student with 'just' PA/TNA bring their own was more related to food based anxiety than the parents' confidence in our ability to prepare safe foods.  I would probably send food if I had a student with a severe allergy to a non-top 8 food.  I did manage a few sunflower allergies for students, but this, again, is someone who knows her stuff, allergy wise, and worked extensively with the kitchen staff - they always had me read the labels.  Keep in mind, as well, that though it usually wasn't a problem for our things, occasionally food service food is not labeled as well as consumer products.  If you do send food, we did our menus at least a few weeks in advance, and it wasn't uncommon for parents sending food to call and ask so that they could send something equivalent.

Other things that people may need to watch out for, consider:
Spark in the dark: Most of these facilities do a 'night hike' experience, this commonly includes chewing a wintergreen lifesaver to see the sparks that are emitted when one is chewed.

Live animal experiences: Some reptile bedding is made with crushed walnut shells, and mammal feed and bird feed commonly contain nuts.  Aquatic turtle food often contains fish.

Nut Trees: My facility had tons of hickory trees.  In my time, we never had even a contact reaction problem, but you may want to warn your child if being around that many nuts may make them nervous.  You may also want to ask for an extra strong warning about not throwing them during orientation - kids love to throw nuts, especially since the hickory nuts are encased in a huge, soft-ish shell the size of a tennis ball.

Sensory Experiences:  Night hikes also sometimes involve using 'smell jars' for the students to guess aromas.  Some people use food items in these jars.

Table clearing, etc...: A lot of these facilities rely on students to set the tables, retrieve food, clear the tables as part of the 'community living' aspect.  When I was an instructor, I'd always adjust the students participation in this based on their allergen set - obviously I'm not going to assign an egg-allergic child to serve breakfast.  If they can't help with clean-up, they can help to set the table with the clean plates, and perhaps even get refills of safe food.

Wild edibles: We would teach a few, easily identifiable wild plants, and sometimes more in-depth classes when we had instructors with more knowledge. 

Recycled/reused materials: Most OE folks are the crunchy, granola hippie types, and a lot of times, we would save food containers and wash them to use for other projects.  Example: Our cereal came in individual 'bowl-packs'.  The plastic bowl part of the container, after being washed, were easily stacked, lightweight, and perfect to give to students to collect salamanders, crayfish, and insects in creek-study classes.  Obviously this would be a disaster for a milk allergic student.  I used an empty number ten can with a sweatshirt sleeve attached to it for a 'feely jar' - though this application is probably less worrisome, since I put the can through the industrial dishwasher several times.  This will differ a lot from place to place, you'll just need to ask if it is not in your comfort zone.

hedgehog

WE did not need to bring food, but PA is easier than egg, so I would not know about your situation. 

And Janelle's comment about the wintergreen Lifesavers reminded me that we did do that (and DS is fine with lifesavers, so that was not a problem for us).

And about the setting/clearing.  Now I remember that part.  DS set, but did not clear, if I remember correctly.

USA

Mezzo

I should do a write up of the environmental Ed place we went to with school. I'm glad I went along but they handled PA very well. And we both had a blast.

becca

Other than raw egg, dd is fine with handling cooked items that contain egg, and can eat most of them, as well.  she would not eat plain eggs, but does pancakes, even french toast now, and her last RAST to egg was negative.  She ias not done a challenge, but where se was one of those who has always tolerated it to a degree and moreso now, maybe she would not be challenged.

I will allow her to clear tables with the community, actually, but to wash her hands well after.  I am comfortable with that.

Janelle205

Had a few more thoughts while I was up late tonight:

We pretty frequently taught outdoor cooking as a class at the facility that I directed.  This is pretty easy to make safe for nut & egg allergies - I had a much more difficult time trying to find Halaal marshmallows then keeping things allergen free.  However, make sure that if they are cooking anything on a stick, they use sanitized commercial sticks, and not just picked up off the ground and whittled down sticks.  Some facilities do solar ovens as well.

Another frequent class that I taught as an instructor and several of my instructors taught was a camouflage class. Concern here would be that we did allow the campers to use camouflage face paint for this class if they wished - I can't remember the ingredients of what we had.  However, this was optional part of the class, I usually had a few choose not to participate.

Living history - My facility did a living history program based on the underground railroad.  As part of the simulation, students got a small snack (not really even enough to call a snack, more like a bite) at one of the stations.  We did cut apples, or when I was playing that character, torn bread.

Compost - We collected food waste compost in our dining hall.  As part of the communal living experience, it would be the responsibility of one group to take the compost bin from the dining hall to the compost pile.  I wouldn't worry so much about nuts with this, but we did compost eggshells, so there would be a chance of coming into contact with raw egg there.

CMdeux

Specifically for you, Becca, in relation to 'shelf-stable, PA-safe food that is comforting in the wake of orthodontia' alone;

Dole fruit gel cups and parfaits. 

:yes:  These have been DD's go-to snack when her mouth is too tender for "hot" or much "solid" food.

Trader Joe's also makes a plain gel cup but they are gelatin, so not shelf-stable.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

becca

Yeah, dd is tough.  Nothing with chunks.  I could send puddings, oatmeal packets(I presume she can get hot water) or ramen. 

It is happening Monday after next week's vacation, so I am not able to contact the teacher or anything.  I can call the facility.  I am not worried.  I will just send some soft options.  it is only 2 nights for them.  She has been pretty tough.  never wanted any tylenol after her extractions.  She has spacers now, and was only sore friday am.  One day.  I think bread will do, and they will have that(and sunbutter). 

Her bigger eating issues is pickiness.  And, well, others will have to deal with that too.  She will not eat yougurt, she does not do casseroles(no foods mixed together things), no chili, no stews.  She will eat chicken soup, plain grilled or roasted meats, chicken, salmon, plain pasta, plain potatoes with salt(not even butter!),etc...  Most breakfast foods, (cereal, pancakes, waffles).  So glad the egg allergy allows these now! 

Good mention on the compost.  I will caution her.  I know they do some thing about trying ot make them concius of their wasted food and weigh it each night and see if they can reduce waste as the week goes on.  She is pretty watchful of herself about those sorts of things. 

There will not be any nuts or peanuts there. 

Thanks!

Michele

Mfamom

sounds similar to the 6th grade trip my ds took.  I was a little concerned because they were far from hospitals etc and I felt like when I was trying to get the details, I was given the short answer that they cater to allergies all the time blah blah.  that is always the part that gets me upset.  If I know there is a solid gameplan etc. I'm much less anxious.
My dh did go on the trip which made me feel much better.  turns out ds had to hit weigh ins the day he got back and didn't end up eating much for the last 24 hours he was there. 
I hope all goes well.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview