Non-food prizes for a whole class, middle school

Started by Mookie86, April 18, 2012, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookie86

I'm on a committee where we're looking to offer a prize for the first period class that does the most _____ (details don't matter).  This is at a middle school. 

I've convinced the committee not to offer food as a prize.  We're now looking to come up with an alternative.  Others don't think all teachers will buy into giving their first period class no homework one night.  What else could we offer middle schoolers as a non-food, inexpensive prize?  There's no option of extra recess or similar things that would work in an elementary school.  They're definitely too old to be excited by a pencil lol. 

yelloww

What about a homework pass to use for one night in one class? Then it isn't all classes, just one per kid.

Mookie86

That was my thought as well, either a homework pass to use in any subject or that the winning 1st period class would get 1 night without homework (prize goes to everyone in the winning first period class because it's a group competition).  Others on the committee said that some teachers don't like doing that, so I'm looking at other options.  ???

Mfamom

How about a movie during school?  (in the afternoon)
is there any $ to put toward it? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

SilverLining

I've been googling, but most pages I found list prizes for little kids or adults on diets.

Did find two ideas though....

- listening to music in class while working
- gift cert. to school store (or for book fair if there is no store)

rebekahc

Some Ideas:
The winning class gets to have first period outside on a pretty day
Each child in the winning class gets to have a turn doing morning announcements (or something similar that's school-wide)
If there are school uniforms, the winning class gets a casual/non-uniform day - if not school uniforms, maybe pajama day (too baby-ish?)

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

rainbow

Not sure about music during class..may violate IEP's of kids that are easily distracted (?).

Some sort of trinkets? School spirit logo pencils or something like that?

Mfamom

I like the free afternoon too.  Maybe just some free time one day during class to do homework, socialize, draw etc. 
Maybe just recognition that they won made on school announcements? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

notnutty

Sit by friends,  Listen to classroom music while working, extra computer time, extra time outside, free time at end of class.  Maybe a no homework pass??

My DS (5th) grade would love any of these ideas, especially extra computer time.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview