login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: So frustrated!!!  (Read 2688 times)

Description:

Offline jenavy21

So frustrated!!!
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
I took my son into the pediatrician Tuesday morning for a HORRIBLE eczema outbreak.   I was really concerned that there could be possible connection to allergy since he nurses at night still and I have been having so many problems.  This allergy thing is new for us and he is only 14 months old and something I never worried about with my older two and he had some on his face.  Regardless his doctor KNOWS I have a peanut allergy and that was one of the things we talked about.  So she prescribed an oil for him that she said should help.  Well thankfully pharmacy had to order it and I have been having a hard time last few days, because I went to put it on him tonight and something told me to look at the ingredients.....   And sure enough it has peanut oil.  I will stick to BabyGanics for now, since it is helping...  But this could have been disastrous for us!!  I can't have someone else put it on him because I hold him, feed him, wash his clothes, etc etc etc.  But I am so mad!!  How could she not think about that?!?!?!

Offline Janelle205

Re: So frustrated!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:02 PM »
I know it is frustrating, but it is quite possible that the ped had no idea - I find that most non-allergy docs don't even think about things like that.  I always have the pharmacy check all the ingredients in my meds, and then double check myself.

If you are thinking about trying something different, I use Vanicream for my eczema, and know that other members here use it as well.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Oh yikes. What Janelle said--they don't get it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline yelloww

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »
People don't get it. And drs tend to only know the active ingredients in things. I used to have them pull the ingredient insert for me to read before filling any rx's- usually it was for dairy.

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
I know the pharmacist has the allergy inputed for me.  I am going to call tomorrow and see if they can put some type of a flag for things like ointments for the kids.  Although I probably won't make the mistake of not asking again.  I am just so frustrated, it has been a horrible week and this would have made for a horrible night.  The baby ganics cream for eczema has been pretty good but he is still very rough.  I have had a lot of people suggest coconut oil, so I was thinking of getting some tomorrow.  Where would I find vanicream?

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
I've gotten Vanicream at Walgreens - sometimes they keep it behind the pharmacy counter so you have to ask for it.  You can also order it from Amazon - convenient if you happen to have Prime.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »
On the bright side you've already adapted to reading the label before you eat or use something to check for your allergens.

You've had a rough intro to allergies though. Tougher than many.