FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New EpiPen TV ad . . .  (Read 42323 times)

Description: trying to figure out how to post

Offline SilverLining

Re: New EpiPen TV ad . . .
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Nothing about signs or symptoms....and nothing about HOW to use the epi-pen.

I'm going to assume a parents that says "whatever the cake is made of" we have your epi-pen, is probably not a parent who will stay at the party OR EVEN make sure anyone there knows how to use an epi-pen.....so, really, if they are going to encourage this behaviour through a commercial, they should be sure to explain sign, symptoms and how to use their magic juice.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
FAAN replied to one of my posts on facebook (on the FAI page):

" The new commercial for EpiPen®, which aired in many markets this week, has caused great concern among many in the food allergy community. We at FAAN viewed this commercial for the first time this week.

FAAN was not involved in any aspect of the direction or production of this commercial, which was distributed by Mylan Specialty. We recognize the issues surrounding the messaging of this commercial, and we have been working behind the scenes to convey our concerns and yours. To that end, we have invited Mylan to share with us any new promotional campaigns centered around food allergies so that we may help ensure that important messaging to patients and their caregivers is clear: there is no cure for food allergies, and strict avoidance of the allergen is the only way to prevent a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

We value the opinions of the food allergy community – a dynamic, passionate, and vital group that has united to accomplish so much on behalf of individuals affected by food allergies. We look forward to working with all of our partners in our efforts to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis."
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

boo

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
I had to drop in to see what the "take" was on this one. Posting to tell you Connelly Partners (I'm pretty sure) is the ad agency.

I did write a blog post in which I metatagged both the ad agency and the marketing manager in case they use Goggle Alerts. Hopefully they at least know there's a problem now.

P.S. On a personal note, my son failed his peanut challenge today for the FAHF-2 study. We are SO GLAD to have it over with. The fail was not terrible as these things go, so we're happy.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
boo ~ 
:bye:

:heart: 

:grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Momcat

Currently Home Schooling

Offline Momcat

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Boo, sorry about the peanut challenge.  Will he still be taking part in the study?
Currently Home Schooling

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
boo ~ 
:bye:

:heart: 

:grouphug:

I can't say it any better than that.

I already saw (and commented on) your fabulous blog post, by the way.   :thumbsup:  I seriously  :heart:the new blog, as if you couldn't tell.

I was talking to DH and DD about FAHF-2 the other night after seeing that there was a study in your area and that your DS was a participant.  I'm sorry that he failed a PN challenge, but glad that the reaction wasn't too bad.  It really is wonderful to see you.   :smooch:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:33:43 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »
Hi Boo!  Great blog, btw. 
Glad to see you.  I'm very sorry about the fail today.  Hope he's okay. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

boo

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Oh, he's fine! A fail in this context is a good thing - it means he's in the study. If he passed the peanut challenge, he would not have been eligible (or would need to qualify with one of his other allergies, and only hazelnuts are on their list, something to which he's never had a real reaction). He's sleeping off the Benedryl now, but it was more boring than scary, other than the 20 minutes of acute reaction.

I actually learned quite a lot today. I'll have to write a whole blog post to get it all in, but one interesting note: they consider a lowering of peak flow to be an objective symptom of a food allergy. He didn't need to get to all-out wheezing. There was no Epi - only Benedryl. (And incidently, CM, all 4 clinicians in the room had the same take on Benedryl short-circuiting reactions that you do.)

And thanks for the blog feedback. I've had haters coming out of the woodwork lately, so I appreciate it a great deal. We've become a sorry community if there's only room for one official opinion on issues and anyone who doesn't conform is shunned or harassed. Just another way I'm feeling Amish, I guess. :)

Offline yelloww

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
Hi Boo!  :bye:

(D-man's/donovans mom)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
Hi from me also     :bye:

I miss seeing you around here.  Hope you are doing well.  I was thinking of commenting on one of your blog posts but wasn't sure which profile to choose.  Nice blog.

Glad to see FAAN's statement regarding the Epi ad.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
Oh, he's fine! A fail in this context is a good thing - it means he's in the study. If he passed the peanut challenge, he would not have been eligible (or would need to qualify with one of his other allergies, and only hazelnuts are on their list, something to which he's never had a real reaction). He's sleeping off the Benedryl now, but it was more boring than scary, other than the 20 minutes of acute reaction.

I actually learned quite a lot today. I'll have to write a whole blog post to get it all in, but one interesting note: they consider a lowering of peak flow to be an objective symptom of a food allergy. He didn't need to get to all-out wheezing. There was no Epi - only Benedryl. (And incidently, CM, all 4 clinicians in the room had the same take on Benedryl short-circuiting reactions that you do.)

And thanks for the blog feedback. I've had haters coming out of the woodwork lately, so I appreciate it a great deal. We've become a sorry community if there's only room for one official opinion on issues and anyone who doesn't conform is shunned or harassed. Just another way I'm feeling Amish, I guess. :)

why not join and stay awhile? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
Hi boo!  :bye:   Glad ds gets to be in the study!  I hope you will stick around and keep us posted.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
Hi Boo! :bye: Anything new with the milk allergy?  As I recall, your ds is about the same age as my dd 17.

Glad to hear he will be in a peanut study.  That`s great news!  Glad to hear that his fail was not too horrible.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
Hi Boo!  So happy to see you here.  And I love the blog too!

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US