New EpiPen TV ad . . .

Started by Firebird, April 17, 2012, 08:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booandbrimom

You guys are really, really sweet. Ok...I'm officially registered. But I really need to limit my time here! (Who's laughing right now, knowing how that's gone for me over the last 13 years...)

Carefulmom, I've thought of your daughter often. We started baked milk last summer. Frankly, it's been hard to get geared up for it, since my son still had mild reactions if we cross a magical threshold. He cannot tolerate baked cheese at all. However, we were up to half milk/butter in a cinnamon roll recipe before stopping for this trial. Unfortunately, we can't do both, at least at first. They want to know the changes are the results of the medication, not mild dosing.

How is your daughter doing?

What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

booandbrimom

Back to the topic...looks like FAAN has issued a statement:

The new commercial for EpiPen®, which aired in many markets this week, has caused great concern among many in the food allergy community. We at FAAN viewed this commercial for the first time this week.

FAAN was not involved in any aspect of the direction or production of this commercial, which was distributed by Mylan Specialty. We recognize the issues surrounding the messaging of this commercial, and we have been working behind the scenes to convey our concerns and yours. To that end, we have invited Mylan to share with us any new promotional campaigns centered around food allergies so that we may help ensure that important messaging to patients and their caregivers is clear: there is no cure for food allergies, and strict avoidance of the allergen is the only way to prevent a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

We value the opinions of the food allergy community – a dynamic, passionate, and vital group that has united to accomplish so much on behalf of individuals affected by food allergies. We look forward to working with all of our partners in our efforts to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis.

So, to read (between the lines):

1. We didn't (want to) know about it (up front because we can't control them).

2. (We asked them pretty please to change it and they said no. So then) we asked if we could look at future commercials they make (and they said no).

3. We value your opinion (even if we're not going to take a stand about it). You're dynamic, passionate and vital (but please stop sending up crazy emails).

(Please just forget this and don't drop your memberships.)
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Momcat

I just read a rumor that Mylan is pulling the ad.  We'll see... keeping my fingers crossed!
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Mfamom

Well, that would be nice if they pulled the ad.  Hopefully, they will do better next time.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

Laughing out loud at your parenthetical interpretation, Boo.  That's pretty much what I had thought, too.

Along with:

4. (What did you all expect, anyway?  It's not like Mylan is a nonprofit, is it?  You all just need to understand that they are driving sales here, which is good for everyone because more sales = more efficiency-- and quit naively assuming that this is about YOU.)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

socks on a rooster

Confirming ad has been pulled.  :yes:

From Elizabeth Goldenberg-onespot Allergy: Update via Dr. John James CO Allergy Asthma:
"I just heard from the FAAN office and they said that Mylan will be pulling the commercial on EpiPen today. Apparently, they are going to extensively modify the commercial and said that FAAN may review the content before launching again later this summer. This will be a good thing!!! You can pass this information along..." Dr. John James WAY TO GO Lisa Horne, Arizona Food Allergy Alliance, and Team Anaphylaxis for spearheading the effort to get this dangerous ad off the air! Thank you to everyone who tweeted, posted, emailed, and called Dey Pharma/Mylan and the FDA. Victory!!

GoingNuts

Socks, that is really great news.  Ah, the power of social media!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

That is good news.  This new campaign of Dey's really needs some tweaking. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Really hoping this youtube link works.  I can't get the song out of my head.  Posted it on our fb page as well. lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N45kozZSLII

Mfamom

Committee Member Hermes

GoingNuts

According to Allergic Living, it is definitely being pulled.   As soon as they have the "official" statement, they will share it on their website.   :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

SilverLining

Gwen posted that she has now recieved the news officially from Mylan.

Posted on their fb page.

Momcat

The following email was shared on facebook:

"Dear Mr. [name redacted],

Mylan Specialty is committed to raising anaphylaxis awareness and preparedness among people directly affected by life-threatening allergies and our advertising efforts play an important role in increasing awareness. However, Mylan Specialty has heard the concerns from the allergy community about our most recent television ad, and we take them seriously.

Mylan Specialty recognizes that allergen avoidance is a critical first step to all anaphylaxis management plans and would never intentionally suggest otherwise.

Unfortunately, despite best efforts, unintentional exposure to allergens happens, and yet less than 10% of patients at risk for anaphylaxis are carrying an epinephrine auto-injector.

In light of this, the intent of our "Max's Birthday" advertisement is to generate greater awareness for anaphylaxis and remind parents about the importance of always having an epinephrine auto-injector readily available for children at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions.

Mylan Specialty values the relationships we have built within the allergy community and appreciates the insights provided by patients, parents, physicians and advocates for those living with life-threatening allergies.

Mylan Specialty has stopped airing the ad while we make modifications to address the feedback we have received."
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

socks on a rooster

"Mylan Specialty recognizes that allergen avoidance is a critical first step to all anaphylaxis management plans and would never intentionally suggest otherwise."

Um. Except they did in a commercial.  :dunce:

Doesn't really sound like taking responsibility to me.

Mfamom

Quote from: socks on a rooster on April 20, 2012, 02:17:14 PM

"Mylan Specialty recognizes that allergen avoidance is a critical first step to all anaphylaxis management plans and would never intentionally suggest otherwise."

Um. Except they did in a commercial.  :dunce:

Doesn't really sound like taking responsibility to me.

yup, that's what I was thinking. 
Also, that statistic makes me think that we were right about the purpose of the ad. 
I hope they can do another commercial that addresses and educates people about always having that AutoInjector.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview