school nurse keeps Epi s

Started by hopechap, April 18, 2012, 11:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopechap

So, like many private schoolers, it is that time of year when my commitment to ungodly tuition and snooty parents wavers, and I consider good ole public school.  I talked to the public school nurse today, and while she was nice -- she was adamant that all Epi stay in her office. She says that she is always within reach and it is better that way.

That means - no Epi in cafeteria or classroom.

My current school has Epi in the classroom and the nurse's office. I do think they gave up on the kids trotting their Epis to the cafeteria and handing them to the person on duty. My son last year beelined out for the playground leaving the teacher carrying Epi-Puppy - and pissed enough about it that she took it out on the poor dog and told me she thought it was too juvenile for my son to have a stuffy carrier.

But even if they have canned some of their vigilance ... at least the Epi IS in his classroom. 

So - I am ready to pay tuition again rather than breathe deep and start with the new nurse. Is this arrangement common? Do many of you have an Epi in the nurse's office only?

DrummersMom

QuoteI do think they gave up on the kids trotting their Epis to the cafeteria and handing them to the person on duty.

When developing my DS's 504 plan, it was agreed Epi would travel with him. When I asked who he'd hand the Epi to, the principal stated "well he'd wear it." This was for kindergarten. Any chance your child can begin wearing his Epi?

CMdeux

That is what I'd try suggesting, as well. 

Maybe you could sell this as "setting DS up for middle school" in some way?

LOL at your description of your "commitment" this time of year, btw.  We feel that-- er, "indecision" every spring, too... should I stay or should I go....   ;D  Fire?  Frying Pan?? 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

MommyOfTwo+1

We are getting ready for DS2's 3rd public school and each school they state the same thing.  However we have always had an allergist that will sign the necessary paperwork stating that DS2 can and should be allowed to self-carry though not expected to self-administer.  Thankfully between that and working with the school staff we haven't had any issues.  So far...we are getting ready to finalize things with school #3 in this regard.

The nurse for this school is ok with it but needs to talk to the rest of the staff and wants to personally talk to DS2 and role-play with him on what he would do if another child were to try to get into his epi-belt. 

I'd really look into the option of self-carrying!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview