FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Travel in Middle East  (Read 1558 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicOtter

Travel in Middle East
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
I want to take my family to visit Amman, Jordan, this summer, but I have no idea about the recognition of PA/TNA in that part of the world; a friend and a local has suggested that Jordanians don't know anything about food allergies, but I didn't know anything about them pre-diagnosis, so I don't know if I should believe him. We hope to fly EgyptAir, with a layover in Cairo. I did notice that there's a Safeway grocery store near the airport in Amman, which gives me hope that we'd be able to find US or EU food with reliable labeling. Does anybody here have any experience or advice for Jordanian or Middle-Eastern travel in general?

x

Re: Travel in Middle East
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
I have been to Egypt and know many people from the ME.  I would say that, in general, there is not a good level
of FA awareness there.  I think you are on the right track in trying to find US or EU food, and hopefully, you will have
access to a kitchen where you can cook most of the food yourself.

Offline nameless

Re: Travel in Middle East
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »
Do you speak the local language(s)?

If not, you'll want to have some very detailed cards to bring (with English translation) to help you ask about ingredients and foods. That's something I found comfort with in Germany - having the text printed out and translated into German by a fluent friend.

You'll also of course want to look up different phrases for allergens. Like - in Germany on German packaging for foods...there was a phrase that translated as "shell fruit" which meant "tree nuts".

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England