Off to College with FA's

Started by GoingNuts, April 22, 2012, 09:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

He's off the day after tomorrow.  And I'm starting to panic.

I have tons of copies of his action plan to leave with the health center, the dining hall, his RA, and to keep in his room.

We'll re-fill epis and inhalers up there, so they will be easy to refill if heaven forbid he uses them, or loses them.

He'll speak to the chef at his dining hall during the first couple of days to establish a relationship and contact.

I pray his roommate isn't a tool.

I hope it hasn't been so long since he had a reaction that he doesn't recognize one if, heaven forbid, it happens.

OMG, the thoughts going through my head are endless.  And merciless.   :-/
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

:grouphug:   Breathe deep, Going Nuts.  Breathe deep.   You can do this.  (And really, what alternatives do you have at this point?  He's too big to snatch him up and shove him into the carseat...)

:heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

my3guys

Aww HUGS GN.  I can feel myself getting anxious reading your post.  My own kid? Fahget about it. I'll need sedatives...

I'm sure you've taught him well. :heart: And I think (generally) kids, other caregivers, etc., are more cautious when us hovering, knowledgable moms aren't around.  We're their safety net.  You've taught him to be his own.

Come here whenever you need to. :heart: :grouphug:

joanna5

I'm anxious about second grade.  I can't even imagine being in your shoes.  From your posts, though, it's clear you've done everything you can to make him aware, informed, and responsible- and now it's his turn to fly. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

GoingNuts

Quote from: CMdeux on August 21, 2012, 10:21:56 AM
:grouphug:   Breathe deep, Going Nuts.  Breathe deep.   You can do this.  (And really, what alternatives do you have at this point?  He's too big to snatch him up and shove him into the carseat...)

:heart:

Serenity now...  Serenity now... Serenity now...
N.E. US

krasota

Quote from: GoingNuts on June 27, 2012, 10:19:40 AM
Twinturbo, no rice cookers allowed.  No hot plates, hot pots or toaster ovens either.

Is there a common kitchen on the floor?

We weren't allowed to use those things in our rooms lo, these many years ago, but we could schlep them to the floor kitchen to use--we just had to stay there while they were plugged in.  I had a rice cooker and a couple other small appliances.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Janelle205

I was the horrible person that had a hot pot, sandwich maker, and a toaster in my room.  I only got them out when I used them and kept them hidden in the closet otherwise.

I'm such a rule-breaker.  :hiding:

GingerPye

I had a hot pot and used it.  I don't know if there was a rule against it.   :hiding:

GN, hang in there.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

CMdeux

Here is a serious question for those who are already 'in the chute' so to speak.

Can a school actually ENFORCE a "freshman must live on-campus" rule in an instance of FA?  Or is this something that pretty much automatically could qualify for an exemption?  I would think so, after all, they'd be hard-pressed to force a student with a mobility impairment to do so if they could not adequately house that student with accommodations.  Of course, the problem is that too many people THINK they can do it and can't.  Unlike wheelchair accommodations, this one tends to be a lot of grey areas where people's assumptions about their relative competence vastly outstrip their actual capability.  That is what worries me (and DD).  We know that if you use the allergen in the kitchen, there WILL eventually be a screw up.

I'm having some trouble seeing just how well some FA could be handled by a cafeteria (wheat, soy, milk, egg).  We had always assumed that DD would never live in a dorm setting for that reason alone.  Now the local university pres has made a unilateral move to make "all true freshman" live on campus.

I'm thinking that a student with an active 504 plan can't possibly be MADE to do so.  But I'd like to know.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

I don't think they can enforce that if there is medical necessity.  I can't imagine how they could.

As for cooking apparatus, there is a common kitchen in the basement.  They are severely limited in terms of what they can use in their rooms; the dorms are old and there are voltage issues.  They can rent a micro-fridge, which is a combo fridge, freezer and microwave.  I think they can use a 1 cup coffeemaker with auto shut off.  But apparently free standing microwaves use too much voltage, and hot pots, toaster ovens and a whole bunch of other things are out too.  Frankly I can't imagine any of these things draw as much power as a blow dryer or straightening iron.  ~)

(Actually, on one of our college tours the dorm went dark while they were showing us a typical freshman room.  Somebody had plugged in contraband.  ~) )

I went to a school with much newer dorms, and pretty much everyone had a hot pot or a toaster oven.  Microwaves were pretty sci fi back then, LOL.  Then again there weren't as many appliances period - we had manual typewriters (OMG, it really was the stone age), and clock radios.  A few lucky folks had really small TVs and stereos.  That was pretty much it.   Now there are so many devices to plug in I guess they have to limit the other stuff.

We'll see how the first couple of weeks go.  I'd be happy to buy him some appliances to use down in the common kitchen - if he were willing to use them.
N.E. US

Janelle205

I'm guessing the reason for no toaster ovens and such is that they consider them a fire hazard.

My hot pot was allowed, but my toaster and my sandwich maker were definitely contraband.  The did have the RAs come in each room to check for contraband on breaks, but it was common knowledge that they weren't allowed to open anything, so as long as you put the toaster in the dresser with your sweaters, you were fine.  I was mostly food allergy free, but I ate a ton of my food in my dorm.  Between working and keeping weird hours because of the insomnia, I didn't eat campus food a whole lot.

becca

I am thinking bagged salad is a good go-to in the fridge, with some shredded cheese, and dressing?  To supplement the grilled meat and potatoe staples? 

Good luck! 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Janelle205

Could he get away with a mini slow cooker?  I've scaled down recipes to make one or two servings in the little dip sized one.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview