FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Trader Joe's  (Read 6872 times)

Description: So, What do you think?

Offline GoingNuts

Trader Joe's
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
I know there was a thread like this awhile back, but it's been so long and information changes rapidly, so I thought I'd ask again.

A Trader Joe's opened near my office, and another one is opening even closer next year.  I was in there today getting cat treats (aka Kitty Crack) and saw some awesome stuff - Israeli Couscous, Tricolor Quinoa, Pita Crackers and Bistro Biscuits.  The labels read fine, but I have little experience with them so don't know how confident I can be in their labeling.  Is it consistent?

They were sampling a garlic hummus that just about made me swoon.  If it weren't for that pesky sesame...  >:(

ETA:  Also got General Tsao's Stir Fry Sauce - looks delish!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:11:35 PM by GoingNuts »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Trader Joe's
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
Unfortunately, you have to call if you need to know about shared lines.

Their labeling policies used to divulge that information as a matter of policy, but no more.  Just because the label doesn't say anything about cross-contamination, do NOT assume that this means there isn't any.

:-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
Bugger.  I'll call tomorrow.

Hate that.  >:(
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
Agree with CM --- the USED TO put EVERYTHING on the label. It was niiiiiiiiiiiiice :)

A few years ago they changed it, so yes - you have to call. If you can shop while the C/S call center is open it's easier --- just walk the aisles with your phone and call as you need.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
So, here's the scoop I got from customer service today.  They are aware of the inconsistency in their labeling (yeah, thanks a lot) and are in the midst of revising all their labels.  There will be no more "may contain" or "made on shared equipment" warnings.  If there is any X-contam conern, they will be labeled as "contains traces of"

Hey, at least it will be consistent.  And the good news is that of the 5 things I purchased, 4 are safe (including the Bistro Biscuits, which are wickedly good  :thumbsup:).
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
So, here's the scoop I got from customer service today.  They are aware of the inconsistency in their labeling (yeah, thanks a lot) and are in the midst of revising all their labels.  There will be no more "may contain" or "made on shared equipment" warnings.  If there is any X-contam conern, they will be labeled as "contains traces of"

Hey, at least it will be consistent.  And the good news is that of the 5 things I purchased, 4 are safe (including the Bistro Biscuits, which are wickedly good  :thumbsup:).

So are they going back to their old labeling of labeling everything, whether or not there is "good manufacturing practices" or are they considering if they determine "good manufacturing practices" enough and NOT put a warning or "contains traces"?

There's a difference...we all know that one.

For instance --- someone here reacted to shrimp in their Fontina Rice Ball things, which, on the label (I looked at my store) has "Good manufacturing practices are in place to prevent cross-contamination. Made in the same facility as shellfish." And she reacted. To shellfish.  Now I'm SFA and have eaten them, and now I won't.

Did you get a feel for "any kind of possible cross-x and we'll put it as contains traces" or "if it's in our judgement it can occur..."

?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
Judgment was the impression I got.   :tongue:
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Right.  They'll still tell you-- if you call. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Wouldn't it just be easier (and take up less of the CSR's time) if they just labeled for all shared lines and let the consumer use their judgment to determine if they want to take the risk to eat the product.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »
Yes, well, that is what they did at one time. 

But then they got the idea that "a lot" of allergic people were ignoring "real" risk in some products which were seriously cross-contaminated... because they were basing their decision-making on the notion that it was all "CYA" labeling, or that it was all referring to trace contamination (like from a shared line that is cleaned well).

While this is a problem, I'm not convinced that it poses the same sort of risk to that group that a lack of good labeling does to the highly sensitive population, who are more likely to mount more severe reactions to exposure to begin with. 

KWIM?

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:18:02 AM »
Wouldn't it just be easier (and take up less of the CSR's time) if they just labeled for all shared lines and let the consumer use their judgment to determine if they want to take the risk to eat the product.

Stop making sense.  Immediately.  ;D
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »

Stop making sense.  Immediately.  ;D

That's how they used to do it Maeve --- every line every facility on the label. It was NICE. But then people complained or they thought it was too much info and they started this "good manufacturing practices" line on their labels. That wasn't enough to appease "whoever" so they started judging the risk. When I've called on a few things (that looked too good to be true) the CSR says they have a whole procedure/formula and the TJ's label products get reviewed and factories visited, etc. Apparently a very extensive process for allergen labeling. She also noted all the increased phone calls over the years since they changed the procedure.

It's annoying.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

hk

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
So they basically label like Krapt now only they will give you a direct, honest answer if you contact them.  Ugh.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Right.  (Which, to be fair, puts them AHEAD of Krapt, since at least they don't treat the information as "proprietary" when asked.)

Western U.S.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
So, GN, here, the Isreali cous cous is labelled as unsafe(on same equipment, if I recall correctly).  Did you hear it was safe?  Dd would love it.

I use the tricolor quinoa all the time.  dd has hd it, but not much, or anymore.  Decided she does not really like it as much as she initially thought.  But, I love it.  No bitterness at all(after a good rinse). 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy