FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Bonefish grill, PF Changs  (Read 3218 times)

Description: Both have nuts and peanut sauce

Offline MandCmama

Bonefish grill, PF Changs
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »
As a rule, we stick to Moe's, chipolte, and Red Robin. I abide by the mantra that benifit has to outweigh risk. I still have a hard time enjoying my meal because it never seems to fail- every time we eat out one or both of the boys will end up with a blotchy face, red ears, etc (probably just due to the excitement of actually eating out!)!

Our vacation spot this year has a Bone fish grill and PF Changs nearby. I know they top "allergy eats" lists and are known to be allergy friendly, but when I saw they have peanuts and peanut sauce my heart sank. Mayo and ranch dressing already give me fits at red robin- peanut scares me even more.! Do any of you with our allergy set eat here? Thoughts, opinions and advice welcome!

For me the risk is obvious, but the benefit is a more subtle broadening of horizons, new experience, not feeling left out, and on and on...
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GingerPye

Re: Bonefish grill, PF Changs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
We decided to try PF Changs during a trip to Chicago a few years ago.  I'd heard it might be good allergy-wise.  They input the kids' allergens and gave us a computer print-out of what could be ordered.  Certainly looked good .... but both of my kids had a reaction after eating there.  Within about 5 min of leaving the restaurant, they were vomiting.  We spent a hairy night at the hotel .... in hindsight maybe should have epi'd, but the only symptom was the vomiting.  Hours of it.   :-/  Could have been peanut contamination, but I felt it was more likely egg contamination ..... with peanut, I think there would have been no doubt to epi.  Both kids are Class 6 for peanut.  I don't really know what caused it, tho.

I know nothing about Bonefish Grill.

We do take a certain amount of risk and sometimes try new restaurants.   I want my kids to know where they can eat safely when they are out  with friends and such, how to order safely, etc.  But it is risky, and may not work for everyone.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline hedgehog

Re: Bonefish grill, PF Changs
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
Our experience at PF Chang's has always been excellent.  First time I called ahead and asked how they handle allergies.  They told me that they will mark the order for the allergy, prepare in a separate part of the kitchen using all clean pans, utensils, etc, and using new packages of food to avoid any that was already contaminated.  However, that policy may vary from one location to another, so best to check it out for yourself.

Have never been to Bonefish, but they are the same parent company as Outback.  That is all I know about them.
USA