Peanut Butter Sandwiches Led to Firings at Disney Elementary

Started by Momcat, May 04, 2012, 12:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momcat

DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Momcat

Text version:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lTuEVMVzTwkJ:www.kmtv.com/news/local/150069705.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Mystery over Firings at Disney Elementary Solved
The Problem Began with Sandwiches
By Robert Maday
CREATED 3:16 PM

Omaha, NE- Days after the Millard School District fired five staff members at Disney Elementary School near 112th and V Streets, Action 3 News has learned what happened.

The problems began with a lesson involving peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Two teachers and three paraprofessionals were let go in late April; the school district wouldn't tell Action 3 News why.

The district would say only that it's a personnel matter.

As the Action 3 News investigation continued, sources say a lesson included peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and that one of the students had an allergic reaction.

Sources say the staff members threw away the evidence and claimed they had no idea about what happened to the student.

They say that cover-up led to the firings.
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

ajasfolks2

Thanks for posting, Momcat.

I saw this earlier in the day and was so sickened I couldn't even make myself post it.

Many of us here have had some really awful experiences with school staff -- often unbelievable to others.  And these experiences may have scarred our children -- especially when it comes to TRUST in "persons of authority" and in the education system and other institutions.

Teachers are human.  Mistakes can be expected.  But when something IS NOT a mistake . . . or is covered up . . . there should be serious repurcussions -- beyond the VICTIM becoming sick or dying.

I'm still sickened and horrified by what happened.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

rainbow

The TV coverage states it was a special ed classroom with nonverbal students.  Sounds like an IEP or 504 situation.  Sounds like parents and attorney interviewed are surprised 5 teachers/ paras were fired, but I'm not, since a 504/IEP was violated putting a child in a life threatening situation.

And how DUMB to 1) use peanut butter in a special needs classroom (diagnosed allergies or not), and 2) try to cover it up. (guess they thought they could w/ nonverbal kids?) Irresponsible, TEACHERS that hopefully won't get hired elsewhere!

joanna5

This makes me furious and really freaking sick.  Beyond that, though, I'm speechless. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

lakeswimr

If it was a known allergy it is a different situation than if this was a first reaction.  However, withholding information like that it was peanut butter that caused the child's reaction from paramedics could have resulted in mistakes in proper care for that child and that is what is very serious.  I wonder if it was the case of people not believing the allergy was real?  I can't imagine the whole scenario, actually.

rainbow

Quote from: lakeswimr on May 05, 2012, 07:34:43 AM
If it was a known allergy it is a different situation than if this was a first reaction.  However, withholding information like that it was peanut butter that caused the child's reaction from paramedics could have resulted in mistakes in proper care for that child and that is what is very serious.  I wonder if it was the case of people not believing the allergy was real?  I can't imagine the whole scenario, actually.

True, BUT...some (smarter) schools have the specific policy of "no open jars of peanut butter in the classroom or spreading peanut butter, or making projects with peanut butter".

With the prevalance of peanut allergy (and higher incidence of food allergies in kids with autism), it is practically negligent to be doing this type of project in a special needs classroom with nonverbal kids.

It does sound like the teachers were in denial.  But then they realized that a life threatening peanut allergy is indeed that once they saw the child reacting.  And then threw out the evidence. The child could have died because of their cover-up.  Glad the administrators seem to see that and fired their butts.

lakeswimr

I don't know.  I haven't heard of a school that has that type of policy.  Schools around here are mostly in the no allergens in the classroom mode but if there aren't specific allergens in a particular classroom then anything goes.  I don't have a problem with that in general.  I agree for non-verbal kids it probably wasn't very smart even if no know allergens but then they would have to avoid ALL food, not just PB or at least the top 8 which is unlikely to happen in most classrooms just in case as a precaution. 

Mfamom

I'm thinking that they wouldn't have hidden the evidence if they weren't breaking some sort of rule.  I think they knew one of the kids had PA and did the project anyway....why else would they hide it ?
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

lakeswimr

Yeah, I think so, too.  And to not tell paramedics that it was anaphylaxis is criminal.  I mean, having the pb there in the first place if there was a known peanut allergy was criminal as well but covering it up when the child was in anaphylaxis is mind boggling.  Sounds like the still didn't get that this was potentially life threatening (but then again, someone called 911 so someone got it) or that they cared a lot more about their jobs than this child's life.  I still don't get the reasoning behind their actions. 

Quote from: lakeswimr on May 07, 2012, 09:27:01 PM
I don't know.  I haven't heard of a school that has that type of policy.  Schools around here are mostly in the no allergens in the classroom mode but if there aren't specific allergens in a particular classroom then anything goes.  I don't have a problem with that in general.  I agree for non-verbal kids it probably wasn't very smart even if no know allergens but then they would have to avoid ALL food, not just PB or at least the top 8 which is unlikely to happen in most classrooms just in case as a precaution.

I have seen that specific guideline in a number of policies both at the elementary school and preschool level.

For a special needs elem school classroom, I think it's very appropriate not to do activities with peanut butter due to high correlation of LTFA and special needs like autism.
Peanut butter should and does get more attention because most deaths in school have been from peanuts/nuts, and peanut butter is sticky and can easily cause contact reactions.  That is why Peanut Free / Nut Free classrooms are common protocol, and wheat free classrooms are rare.

lakeswimr

I'm not saying I disagree with the idea that limiting pb in schools and peanuts can be a very good thing but I do not expect schools to all be peanut free or pb free in classrooms if there is no known food allergy, even if the children are special needs.  I don't know of any correlation between autism and food allergies and have not ever heard that before.  A lot of people are still not very aware of food allergies or even if they are they don't understand that 'if you are allergic then don't eat it' is not sufficient accommodations for many so i wouldn't be at all surprised to see pb birdfeeders, science experiments involving burning a peanut to make energy, etc taking place still quite frequently in schools. 

hedgehog

Whether they broke any rules in using PB or not, it was inexcusable to cover it up.  IMO, that is truly where they wrong.
USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview