Allergy blood testing.

Started by Frosted Crunch, May 10, 2012, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosted Crunch

My Middle kiddo has PANDAS, and we just saw the allergist for his chronic sinus infections, ear infections, and upper respiratory infections.

he's allergic to rye grass, and Elder Tree.

This is what they want to run, anyone care to tell me what this is?

CBC with Diff, CMP, CRP, Quantitative Ig's (IgE, IgA, IgM, IgE) Pneumococcal 14 titers, HIB titers, tetanus titers, Diphtheria titers

Thanks!

rebekahc

I'm not sure what they all are, but it looks to me like they're looking for an explanation for all the infections since they're most likely not due to severe seasonal allergies.

CBC = complete blood count

The quantitative Ig's are most likely looking for deficiencies.  I know chronic infections can be caused by IgA deficiency, no sure whether IgM deficiencies can do that, also.  Elevated IgE would indicate high allergic response going on which might prompt them to seek further allergy testing.

The titers are checking for immunity to HIB, tetanus and diptheria - either from exposure or vaccines.  If your child has been vaccinated, but the titers do not show immunity, then that would also indicate the possibility of a depressed immune system.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

booandbrimom

Diff - differential. I'm pretty sure it's where they do a manual count/look-see at the various cells to make sure there's no one type of cell that's elevated, like eosinophils. (sp?)

My son had quantitative Ig panel done as part of a research study we were in years ago. Interestingly, kids with MFA can have very high overall Ig numbers.

What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview