FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Mylan Ad Frenzy Part II  (Read 25662 times)

Description:

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Mylan Ad Frenzy Part II
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
I would much rather see an add made by you, Silverlining--'accidents happen and that's why we carry epi pen'.  No matter how careful, accidents can happen.  That's a much better message.

i don't think it is the same as abstinence-only education

This isn't an ad by an advocacy group....it's from a for profit business.  They are advertising their product.

If we could absolutely 100% always always alwyas completely avoid our allergens we would not need their product.  But we cannot do that.  Accidents happen, and so we carry our epi-pens with us.

This print ad (to me) shows it more in that light.  maybe there is nobody in the entire world that you trust to cook anything for your child.  (I'm not judging or criticizing...just commenting.)  But, there is someone I trust.  She makes dinners and baked goods and I eat them.  She often calls me to verify what brand of an ingredient is safe.  But, what if.....Brand X used to be safe but no longer is and no warning is added?  She might use that Brand and contaminate the birthday cake she bakes.  Accidental cross contamination....and I'm a very careful person.....but it could still happen.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
twinturbo--very interesting posts.  I was struck with the idea that they could and should push for docs to write scripts for multi epis for home, school, etc.  That alone would generate a lot of business.  Insurance companies might revolt, though.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Dey has chosen an ad campaign that concentrates on repositioning the therapeutic role of epinephrine in allergic disease management rather than their patented drug delivery system.

The next issue is that it is a prescription only control usable only by the patient it was prescribed to.

I don't think they see it that way. Their press release after the first brew-ha-ha was very informative. They said  90% of allergic people do not carry epinephrine. We could quibble with the accuracy of that statistic...but since they do it for a living, I'm gonna assume they're right and the vast majority of allergic people do not.

I would estimate that's an accurate number based on people I know IRL.  Including fa's, insect and latex allergies.  About 90% of the people I know with allergies do not carry an epi-pen.  And those that do, often don't bring them if they don't think they'll need them.  (e.g. not planning to eat)

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
That 90% doesn't match with people I know.  I think that of people in my father's generation and in my generation or basically anyone over about 20 years old it is probably pretty accurate.  For those who are school aged now with food allergies I don't believe it is that high.  Schools will REQUIRE people to see a doctor and get them many times if the parent says the child is allergic to a food.  They can't accommodate without a doctor's letter or something.  My son's school has had about 1 child out of all FA kids (about 20 total maybe) who say they don't need epis and just use benadryl.  I have worked in lots of different schools and have seen the food allergy info lists and this is similar to what I see at other schools.  There is the occasional child who has benadryl only for a reaction but that's the odd ball and very rare.   

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
But what about the parents that don't tell that their kids have food allergies or insect allergies or are just under the assumption that a school nurse has blanket meds for everyone?

Let's just say that I know a few people who go by that train of thought.  Wanna know how many of them don't read labels and trust their child's instincts (mouth burning) as the first line of defense?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »
I know the school populations and the #s on the official school list would easily correspond with expected rates of Fas.  I know there are parents like that but I am not seeing it in the schools where I have worked except in one very poor school but that is more to do with financial reasons and even those kids tend to have epis, just a few more than usually don't or have some weird emergency plan.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
Wowza. One of the members of Team Anaphylaxis just posted over in the comments on this blog that Mylan "need people (our children) to go into anaphylaxis." 

Them's fighting words!  :watch:

Gotta go lick my wounds now and try to improve my "capability to discern information and respond in an informed way" so people stop ignoring (most of my) posts. 

It was the "most" that made me so glad I wasn't drinking :coffee:. Just bought a new computer screen.   
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
That 90% doesn't match with people I know.  I think that of people in my father's generation and in my generation or basically anyone over about 20 years old it is probably pretty accurate.  For those who are school aged now with food allergies I don't believe it is that high.  Schools will REQUIRE people to see a doctor and get them many times if the parent says the child is allergic to a food.  They can't accommodate without a doctor's letter or something.  My son's school has had about 1 child out of all FA kids (about 20 total maybe) who say they don't need epis and just use benadryl.  I have worked in lots of different schools and have seen the food allergy info lists and this is similar to what I see at other schools.  There is the occasional child who has benadryl only for a reaction but that's the odd ball and very rare.   

But, how many kids is there no accomodation and therefore you may know nothing about?  I personally know of several in my son's grade.  they have no epi-pens and never did.  One has never even had benedryl left at school.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
I just don't like the message that as long as you have the epi pen, you're good. 
Do you have any idea how long it took me to clarify that to a lot of people in my life? 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
lakeswimmer, I'd like to add to my last post....it is very possible you live in an area that doesn't fit the 90% without.  I'm sure it is not the same percentage in every community, and every state.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
I've looked at this ad a few times now.  I don't have a major problem with it. I wish they put in "Accidents" happen instead of "life" happens, but I much prefer it over the tv ad.

For those moms who already carry epipens, their allergy management or epi carrying won't change.

For the general non-allergy population, I don't think they're going to spend more than a millisecond on the ad.  I don't think they're going to pick up on the subtle aspects people think this ad implies...that it's ok to eat the cake no matter what...so bring the epipen.  If those actual words were printed, then I'd have a huge problem.  If anything, seeing an ad in print with May Contains and life threatening may add legitimacy in the general population's mind.  Wow? It really can be life threatening?

I don't know how it would affect those moms who don't carry them...it may work on some.

I don't think Dey is out to make kids go into anaphylaxis.  I think many commenters on that blog (I only skimmed the responses) are getting too fired up and people need to step away and cool off.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »
...everything I have seen objecting to it, seems to go back to onsepot.  Elizabeth seems to encourage knee jerk reactions. 

She's focused on making money. That means she has to pander. Since I've been blogging, I've been looking at all the "advocates" and "bloggers" who really run side businesses selling holders or bracelets or books. It's amazing how much money underlies our community.

And I feel terrible for Nancy from ANNMA. She gave an honest answer and those girls are gonna to hang her out to dry if she comes back. Charming advocacy!

Agreed.  And whether I like her statement or not (and I liked parts of it, and not others), there ought to be room for some debate on this one.  This is effectively a debate about comfort zones. 

I'd like to think that I'm not so unbearably petty that I have to force someone whose life isn't so limited (because hey-- not everyone IS allergic to a ubiquitous food, and not everyone is contact sensitive, YK?) into walking in MY shoes just so that I don't look like such a loon. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
I have to stop reading this thread.  I click that link and want to respond.  But, honestly, it's not worth it.

I suspect some of those posting are the same people that sent hate mail to Joel saying they hope his son develops pa.  And I'll bet many had a celebration when his son did develop pa. 

Offline booandbrimom

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »

I'd like to think that I'm not so unbearably petty that I have to force someone whose life isn't so limited (because hey-- not everyone IS allergic to a ubiquitous food, and not everyone is contact sensitive, YK?) into walking in MY shoes just so that I don't look like such a loon.

I think that's my new favorite quote.

Honestly - the people who think we're crazy are ALWAYS going to think we're crazy. It's taken me years and years to get there, but it's so freeing once I did. Mylan's ads aren't going to help or hurt that, so more power to them if they want to get more Epi-Pens in mothers' hands, regardless of how they do it.

Food allergies are an individual disease. When it comes to walking in each other's shoes, we're all Cinderella.

Offline booandbrimom

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
I suspect some of those posting are the same people that sent hate mail to Joel saying they hope his son develops pa.  And I'll bet many had a celebration when his son did develop pa.

I did nominate him for a Bitchie Award. Not because his son is PA, but because he made a point of telling all us crazies that he's NEVER going to send his kid to a nut-free school. If I've learned anything during this crazy journey, it's never say never.

He lost to Myley Cyrus though: "Gluten is CRAPPPP."