login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergic reaction to codeine  (Read 4453 times)

Description:

Offline Dewey

Allergic reaction to codeine
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
I've been battling bronchitis for the past week and a half, and my doctor prescribed me codeine to help with the coughing a bit. It seemed to help for the first day or so, but today I now have hives absolutely everywhere - it looks just like the reaction I had when I discovered that I was allergic to penicillin. No swelling anywhere else, just full-body hives. The last dose I took was this morning, so hopefully it'll work its way out of my system soon...
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

Offline Janelle205

Re: Allergic reaction to codeine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »
Hoping that you feel better soon.  I had a similar reaction when I took toradol.

If you're still having troubles with the coughing, my doctor often gives me tussionex syrup, which uses vicodin as the cough suppressant.  It's an extended release medication, so it makes you pretty much worthless for 10-12 hours, but it's great for nighttime, especially if the cough is keeping you up.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:19 AM »
... BUT...

if you have a problem with codeine, DO report this to your regular physician-- and report it to any OTHER physician that prescribes you ANY drug.  Unfortunately, there are few options now on the market in the US outside of the opiate class. 

I can't take any of the natural opiates-- so the loss of Darvocet was a particular bummer for me personally.   :-[

There is still demerol.  And oripavines.  Well, realistically, buprenorphine.  And benzoxazocines like nefopam.  Hmmm... and tramadol.

In other words, there isn't any reason to suffer through extreme pain, even if you CAN'T take opiates/opiods.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »
Keep in mind that drug reactions can last longer than typical food reactions.

Any chance that you don't have a viral infection on top of bronchitis that would cause the hives?  Though having said that codeine has a pretty bad record of causing issues.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Dewey

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
I considered the possibility of it being viral hives, but considering how similar the reaction is to drug reactions I've had in the past, I'm more inclined to believe that it's probably the codeine (and as you said, it has a pretty bad record of causing issues).

CMdeux - I'll definitely be sure to mention it to my regular physician - thanks!

Not much change in the hives today - haven't gone away, haven't been any more yet.
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's