login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New from NC  (Read 3287 times)

Description:

Offline ellen

New from NC
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
Hello! I am currently living in Texas, but we're moving to NC in about 3 weeks. I have a corn allergy that is particularly difficult to deal with since most restaurants don't give information on corn since it isn't in the top 8 allergens. Consequently, I don't eat out much, but that's okay because I'm mostly a health nut and prefer my own cooking. :-) It does become a problem when I have to travel though. We will be driving from TX to NC when we move and I had a really hard time finding food the last time we made that trip. We stayed in a Residence Inn in Birmingham, AL. It was near a Whole Foods so we shopped and cooked our own dinner. But we'll be taking a different route this time (via Florida to visit my family). Does anyone have tips on restaurants that are allergy friendly in the southeast US?

Offline SilverLining

Re: New from NC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »
You may find answers in the Travelling and Restaurants section of the board.

I'm not familiar enough with US geography to know how far your trip is.  But I have travelled about 1200 miles without going to restaurants.  Just a cooler with food, drinks, and ice-packs.

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
I am wracking my brain trying to remember any restaurants we used when DS had a corn allergy and I'm coming up blank!  Maybe Outback Steakhouse?  I'm thinking your best bet would be to stick with less processed foods - plain grilled meats, baked potatoes, salad with dressing in packets you can read (or bring your own), etc.  I would also suggest looking at the common fast food places' websites for complete ingredient listings.  If you knew a couple of safe things at a few of the bigger chains, you'd at least be able to find something.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »
Welcome!

Frequent road-tripper with a lot of food allergies, although none as ubiquitous as corn...

If you can find ones that are safe for you, dried fruit and nuts will be your best friends on the road. Likewise, roadside produce stands--this time of year, in that region, there'll be a ton.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:39:34 AM by Ra3chel »
The 3 is silent.