login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New here- four yr old has PA  (Read 2871 times)

Description:

Offline evergreenmom

New here- four yr old has PA
« on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
Hello all-

What a great forum this is!! I am so glad to have found you guys!!  :)

My four year old son Xander has recently been Dx'd with a peanut allergy and I am trying to inform myself regarding living with this and keeping him safe. I am sure I will spend a lot of time perusing these boards for info but if anyone has any specific must know info on keeping a child with a peanut allergy safe I would really appreciate all the help I can get. I feel like there is so much to learn and it's not like I have the luxury of time here... I am terrified I will make a tragic mistake before I have had a chance to really get a handle on all of this!!!

In addition to his peanut allergy Xander has several other life impacting medical conditions and has had major surgeries and may have more in his future so I already have a lot to worry about with him and this peanut allergy has just about put me over the edge!!  :misspeak:  :disappointed:  :insane:

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you may have to offer!  :bye:
Me- allergic to MSG and mushrooms and possible gluten sensitivity

My son (born 3/08)- Peanut Allergy

Offline SilverLining

Re: New here- four yr old has PA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi!  Welcome to the forum.  Sorry you need to be here.

I don't really have words of wisdom, but a few things I do want to mention.

Since your son has other conditions, I assume he is sometimes on medications.  Check with the pharmacist or manufacturer to find out if any of them contain peanut.  Off hand, I can only think of one medication on the market that does contain it (Ceruminex, which is an ear wax remover).

And, yes, it seems like a lot to take in at once.  But, after a while it will become second nature to you.  And until then, ask questions.  No question is dumb.

Offline rebekahc

Re: New here- four yr old has PA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
Hi!  I'm glad you found us (but sorry you needed to)!

We're always happy to answer questions, so ask away!

The best advice I can give you for keeping him safe right now while you're learning is to:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:33:40 AM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.