imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School wants us to use the older version of FAAN's FA Action Plan  (Read 3455 times)

Description:

xyz

We are moving to a different state and the new school says they will roll over dd's 504 plan  :thumbsup:, although it will need to be adjusted somewhat.

One thing that I found interesting is that they are using the older version of FAAN's FA Action Plan as a School District Standard and are reluctant to change to the newer format (or allow us to use it) although myself and dd's allergist agree that the newer format better describes how we would like her treated in case of an allergic reaction.  There are many differences in the plans (ex - how hives treated, directions for older/newer design of Epi Jr, etc.) and I'm in communication with the nurse about this.

I'm just wondering if it is common for schools to insist on using their forms ... and among those, how many schools are still using the older version of FAAN's FA action plan.

Offline lakeswimr

A lot of schools want to have one standard form they use so staff know where to look.  It would be confusing potentially to have lots of different forms floating around with key directions printed in very different locations.

That said, your child's allergist gets to decide your child's emergency plan and not the school.  I'd tell the district that you have to insist that they follow YOUR child's emergency plan from your child's allergist. 

I think the two plans are different enough that it would be difficult to make the old one the same as the new one even if you wrote on it.  You could try to do that and see but I don't think it would work.  I'd talk with the nurse and be ready to point out in detail what is the difference and just insist that they follow your child's plan.

Offline MandCmama

I really don't like the new one very much...neither does the nurse @ M's school...the district uses the new one, but she kept a copy of the old one as well.  I find the old one less cluttered, the symptoms more descriptive, and the new one is missing the cue to remind EMS you may need more epinephrine (if I'm remembering correctly).
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
You can always add the old form (your physician's orders, effectively) as an attachement to the 504 plan itself.  That way BOTH things are there, and you can refer to the 504 plan on the older form that the district wants filed separately, yes?

That is assuming that you can word things such that there isn't any contradictory information included on the older form, of course.

Great news that the new district intends to use the 504 plan as-is!!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

xyz

I really don't like the new one very much...neither does the nurse @ M's school...the district uses the new one, but she kept a copy of the old one as well.  I find the old one less cluttered, the symptoms more descriptive, and the new one is missing the cue to remind EMS you may need more epinephrine (if I'm remembering correctly).

The new format did take me a little time to get used to, but I love certain things about it like how it differentiates between mild and severe symptoms, how it stresses that antihistamines and asthma meds can't be relied upon for ana, etc.

It does mention additional epinephrine here:
Monitoring
Stay with student; alert healthcare professionals and parent. Tell rescue squad epinephrine was given; request an ambulance with epinephrine. Note time when epinephrine was administered. A second dose of epinephrine can be given 5 minutes or more after the first if symptoms persist or recur.

xyz

A lot of schools want to have one standard form they use so staff know where to look.  It would be confusing potentially to have lots of different forms floating around with key directions printed in very different locations.

Yes, this is a valid concern.

That said, your child's allergist gets to decide your child's emergency plan and not the school.  I'd tell the district that you have to insist that they follow YOUR child's emergency plan from your child's allergist. 

Yes, that's exactly how I feel.  I don't want to be a pain, but there are clear differences in the plans not to mention the older version has outdated Epi Jr instructions like removing the gray activiation cap (instead of the blue).

xyz

You can always add the old form (your physician's orders, effectively) as an attachement to the 504 plan itself.

The newer version of the FAAN FA Action Plan already is in the current 504 which the new school district has a copy of.

That is assuming that you can word things such that there isn't any contradictory information included on the older form, of course.

I'd have to have a lot written in to make them not contradict  :-/

Great news that the new district intends to use the 504 plan as-is!!

Well, not exactly "as-is", but they are accepting it and we will meet in August to update it for the new school.
From the info they sent me, they are even doing some additional steps that I didn't ask for.

I think you know me  ;) , so I just wanted to say thank you for your previous help!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
You are very welcome.  Always.  I'm thrilled that the process worked out so well.

I'd point out to the new district that since it's IN your child's 504 plan (as they intend to implement it... heheheh), then the form on file cannot (legally) go against the form in the 504 plan, or this might well constitute a violation of your child's 504 planBoy, you sure wouldn't want them to get into TROUBLE for that.  (This goes along with my general demeanor of "I'm only trying to be HELPFUL here" with my school.)   ;)

Might wait, though, until the tail end of that meeting in Aug.  Just to make sure that they'll honor it and have agreed to eligibility BEFORE you mention it.   ;)  LOL.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

xyz

LOL  ;D 

Hopefully, we will be able to resolve this issue ... in all seriousness, I'd like a positive relationship with the school.  I can't wait until this stuff is finalized for the year.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
IMO, the allergist for the child has the hammer on this.

It's his/her call, medically, as to the necessary and appropriate action to be taken, based on this child's individual medical needs.

504 = necessary and appropriate accommodations.

The attending physician should have the say so as to the course of action for allergic reactions as well as any other "necessary and appropriate" accommodations.

LTFA (life-threatening food allergy) is NOT a "one-size-fits-all" diagnosis or treatment course.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

xyz

Re: School wants us to use the older version of FAAN's FA Action Plan
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
A good news/bad news update ...

The good  :) :  The school has allowed us our own action plan.  The district is updating their training and school forms to account for the new design of the epi and, I think, maybe other form format improvements.

The bad:  New allergist prefers we use their FA action plan, which frankly, I don't like as much as FAANs.  Will do for now.

--------------------------------

The good:  As I may have mentioned elsewhere, dd passed an IOFC although she is still having (for the most part) some minor skin reactivity and tongue itching.

The bad:  It's been a bit of a battle to make sure the proper precautions are still in place at school until she fully stops having symptoms after ingesting her (former?) allergen .... EpiPen prescription, proper school allergy paperwork filled in and signed by Dr., etc.

Since her current allergist no longer considers her FA condition life-threatening, we have stopped the 504 process for FA with the school.  However, I don't regret going through the process.

The school nurse learned a lot about her (former?) allergen, about the interplay between asthma & FA, etc.
I learned, and I think the school learned, a lot about FA 504s  :)

My dd still has a school health plan, she is still in a class that does not allow food in it (accept for a VERY few cases like 1/2 days - the class teacher stated reasons like lots of kids with FA, diabetes, & nutrition concerns), they are still having dd observed by cafeteria staff, her teacher is an epi delegate, etc.

I am hoping her remaining symptoms will resolve, but I feel ok with the precautions we have in place at the school.

Offline maeve

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Does your child still carry an EpiPen?  If so, she would still qualify under Section 504.  I'm inferring from what you've written that your child is still allergic but not considered life-threatening.  I'm a bit confused.  Did she pass the food challenge?  You say she's having tongue itching and skin reactivity, that would not have been a pass at my allergists.  In fact, I know of a friend's child who sees the same allergist, and her child failed a peanut challenge after one Reese's Piece simply because his throat felt funny/itchy.  They wanted to make sure it was not anxiety and gave him a second and administered epinepherine after the second because he again reported the itchy throat.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

xyz

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
Does your child still carry an EpiPen?  If so, she would still qualify under Section 504.  I'm inferring from what you've written that your child is still allergic but not considered life-threatening.  I'm a bit confused.  Did she pass the food challenge?  You say she's having tongue itching and skin reactivity, that would not have been a pass at my allergists.  In fact, I know of a friend's child who sees the same allergist, and her child failed a peanut challenge after one Reese's Piece simply because his throat felt funny/itchy.  They wanted to make sure it was not anxiety and gave him a second and administered epinephrine after the second because he again reported the itchy throat.

We are in a grey area.

We recently moved and I took dd to the allergists at what is considered to be one of the best hospitals in the country.  Two of the allergists (1 did skin prick, 1 did challenge) have told us that she passed the challenge, they do not consider her allergic anymore, and that "skin reactivity" is sometimes the last thing to be outgrown.

Two of our former allergists disagree and would advise us to avoid.

We are keeping the epi's, action plans, etc. with the school because of my request. 

I was expecting the IOFC to give us some clear answers.   :crazy:

As I was instructed to do by the new allergists, I've been feeding her the allergen 2 to 3 times a week.  Since I still have concerns, I have decided to only do this at home, monitoring her closely for at least 3 hours.  If minor symptoms were to escalate, as they did for Lala, I would give epi and restart the 504 process.

I know I have the option of getting another local allergist's opinion, but right now, our family has decided to follow the advice of the new allergists.

I do appreciate your post.  This has been a stressful experience for us.

Offline maeve

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
xyz,
I'm sorry you're going through this stress (in addition to the stress of a new area).  I hope that all goes well with school. 

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber