School advice needed....PLEASE help!!

Started by IowaMom, September 06, 2012, 06:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaMom

I am just wondering how snacks are handled in other schools.  Our school has a food allergy policy in place, but nothing specifically regarding snacks except encouragement not to bring in nut products.  In DD's grade level however, the rooms are PN free (supposedly) because of her and we have required a safe-snack list be used.  Last year DD had a safe snack box and was only allowed to eat from this and to eat hot lunch. She was not allowed any other food from school.  K teacher didn't seem to get it, and we had problems w/ food used in the classroom for rewards/incentives.  We updated the safe snack list to give parents more options, but required that the snacks come ONLY from the list to ensure nothing was brought in that was unsafe for DD.

This year, DD really wanted to participate in classroom snack.  My understanding is that most of the other PA kids in the school do this without problems.  So, I updated the list, and we had  meeting. I thought everyone was on the same page.  Obviously not the case.  3 incidents have occurred in the last 3 weeks- the first two a snack was served that was not on the list.  The teacher said she was confused about the items.  The 3rd incident involved an unsafe snack (ritz bits) purchased by the teacher- given to the sub to hand out (who luckily read the label and didn't give it to DD).  Since the last incident, we have brought back the safe-snack box for DD's safety. 

DD seems ok with it, but I know she will be upset when b-day treats start rolling in again and she can't participate.  I've considered a 504, but what types of accommodations can be asked for?  I feel that the safe snack box singles out DD and draws attention to her allergy.  But, I can't trust the school after all of this (obviously there are numerous reasons but I can't go into it all here).  I know that they are already accommodating her, with the PN free room and asking parents to only purchase what's on the list.  Do I just need to get over this and realize that this is just how its going to be for 4 more years and obviously there are going to be numerous times when she can't participate in "food" activities??  Just wondered how others deal with the classroom snack issue.
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

rainbow

Do they do a shared snack in all classrooms at your school?
Most schools are having kids bring OWN snack. Snack must be "nut free" (but since eating own, we didnt' worry about may contains).

For SHARED treats (bdays, and class parties):
Purchase off safe treat list
Parent of bday child drops off treats in AM; for Class parties, treats planned in advance (safe treat list/class moms/teacher/nurse)
Allergy parent comes in that morning to read label and approve treat ("read every label, every time")...IF unsafe, sent back by nurse, or nurse calls allergy parent for alternative (ie, bring something in if it's an honest mistake).

Non-food celebrations are "strongly encouraged" for birthdays. Only 2 classroom parties w/ food a year.  Super safe treats like Popsicles served for all-school events.

I would get a 504.  Sounds like they are being helpful, though their overall procedures are unsafe.  I'd explain to them what most schools are doing and hope they can go there next year (minimize # parties / bdays / encourage non-food celebrations, check labels every time (and that means no unlabeled foods, like baked goods)...and have kids bring OWN snack for daily snack time.

YouKnowWho

For us there are too many factors for shared snack that make it unsafe.  All it takes is one cheapskate LOL

What about a compromise?  Can you have a few packages of a snack that is safe for her in case one that is not on the list comes in?

Ideally it is safer, less frustrating and less identifying for the allergic child if snack is brought in as an individual as opposed to for the class.  Even then, I provide my teacher with a package of safe snacks in case we forget, gets lost, etc.  The teacher has snacks on hand as well for students that forget theirs as well.  All of the teachers have said it was a rare occurence for anyone to forget though.  Some teachers argue that group snack is more inclusive which is a joke since it's generally not inclusive for those with allergies.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

rainbow

This kind of shared snack is popular in preschools, but not popular in elem schools anymore.  Public schools want to reduce liability and costs. Teachers stopped stocking extra pretzels for this reason.

Find out what neighboring schools do. 

Macabre

I don't think it matters what's popular in other schools; this is how her school handles it. Unfortunately.

With a 504 you may be able to get stronger controls, and you may not.  What you get is accountability. 

I do recommend it.  It doesn't make life perfect, but the school must be far more accountable, and you have recourse if they really aren't trying to be accountable (we've never been the type to call a screw up a violation unless it becomes a pattern).

We had a "plan" for many years before we had a 504 that worked well.  Kind of well.  It depended on the teacher.  Folks even signed off on the plan at the beginning of the year. It was four pages and very detailed.  But they didn't have to follow it.  And they didn't follow it.  And I had no recourse.  And they didn't have to care. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

rainbow

Right but sometimes schools don't realize they are behind the times...and they are influenced by what their neighboring schools are doing, both in-district (other elem schools) and out of district (neighboring districts)...ie, if 10 of 14 districts in county are doing X...they might more likely implement X because that is what most districts are doing...they share information at county Superintendent meetings).  Depends on the structure, but I do think sometimes administrators are influenced by neighboring districts, and other factors, such as recommendations from State Dept of Ed etc.

However sometimes changes like snack policies are easier rolled out for the next school year. I'd put some on a short-term and some on a longer-term list as far as your priorities for classroom safety and inclusion.

Also think about field trips, lunchroom, etc.

IowaMom

Thank you all for your responses.  Rainbow: as of next year they are supposed to all be bringing in their own snacks (nut free).  But my question is, who monitors those to make sure they are nut free??  If the teachers can't even handle reading one snack label for the whole class, how can they handle reading 25/day?? 

YKW: your suggestion would work if the teacher was actually following the list and reading the labels...but she's not :-[

As far as neighboring schools in the district, it's my understanding they all do this the same way.  Now neighboring districts is a whole different ball game.  They run the gammut of no snacks, just milk, or even homemade treats.
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

notnutty

When my DS was in K and First, they also had a shared snack.  What that teacher did was ask for money from each parent and then she purchased all the snacks from the list I provided.  We had a 504 that specified this process.  If you teacher is not willing to do the shopping, maybe you could?  I think she stocked up once a month.  She actually said it was easier because she could avoid some of the more sugary snacks and purchase snacks that were easy to serve.  The parents also liked this because they didn't have to worry about buying snacks.

rainbow

Iowamom, that's good, the "bring own snack" will be easier.  I don't think staff needs to read labels daily, but you may have to accept "may contains" in the classroom for individual consumption. Or if that not OK...perhaps they could go to something like a limited list of acceptable snacks (e.g., fruit, veggies, certain crackers etc.) but the more restrictive, the more likely other parents complain.  IMO expecting kids to bring a healthy snack like fruit is very reasonable...but say they bring pretzels...(our teachers suggest fruit, veggies, pretzels)...some have "may contain" warning.  I don't think that is risky when kids are bringing snack for their OWN consumption (ie, your child is sitting next to child eating a may contain pretzel).

I think the bigger risks come when there are SHARED food activities...shared snacks (too easy to buy wrong food), party foods, unlabeled foods (eg. cupcakes deemed "nut free" but ingredients cannot be verified and cross contamination in other kitchens - or bakeries - is an issue -- reference Dr. Woods "cookie story" at www.drrobertwood.com)

You shouldn't expect teachers to be reading labels of individual snacks (not realistic IMO) but what they should be doing is supervising the class at snacktime and checking out any unsafe-looking food to ensure no obvious nuts or nut products are being eaten.  However if there is a group snack, I think the teacher *should* be reading the label -- but it is much better/safer if you read it, or better yet, buy the foods.  (note: there could be other allergy issues in the class so shared snacks is a system that often does not work...all the allergies/preferences/intolerances/etc out there are probably the reason schools no longer want to provide snacks and a one-snack-fits-all approach often does not work).

There was one story recently about a kid that ate a peanut butter granola bar in a classroom that was passed out to the kids at snacktime - while only certain types of granola bars were allowed, this was a shared snack and a mom had brought in a variety pack that included peanut granola bars.  This happened at a class celebration.  The mom had checked the popcorn for safety (and it was fine) as that is all she was told the kids were eating.

For this year, I try to go with the system notnutty is suggesting.

IowaMom

Notnutty I like that idea!  I'm interested in hearing how it worked.  Did you keep track of the $ brought in or did the teacher? How did you know how much to ask for from each parent? Did you do something with any leftover $?

rainbow I agree 100%.  This having the teacher read labels is NOT working. I'm really surprised it's working for these other students and not us, but I guess it is what it is.  I guess you are correct- really, all the teacher would have to look for if everyone brought in their own individual snack is a blatant product. I wouldn't be worried about may contains. 

Thank you for all of this advice!!  I think I'm going to email the nurse with Notnutty's plan.  I would be more than willing to shop for the snacks.  Then I could go to Costco-Sam's and buy in bulk to save money as well.  I am wondering where in the room that many snacks could be stored though..may not be room anywhere for a months worth of treats..
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

YouKnowWho

Quote from: rainbow on September 06, 2012, 07:58:34 PM
This kind of shared snack is popular in preschools, but not popular in elem schools anymore.  Public schools want to reduce liability and costs. Teachers stopped stocking extra pretzels for this reason.

Find out what neighboring schools do.

Every school in the county has gone to food free classroom celebrations and food free birthdays.  Our school prides itself on being different. 

I have a school that is equal distance from our current school that follows that model.  But the flip side is it is three times larger than our current school.  I like that DS2 is in a class of 16 students and DS1 is in a class of 18 students.  There are less than 500 kids in K-5 situation.  Oddly because of the small size there only 1-3 kids per grade level that have food allergies and I am the one parent who pushes the most.  It has been social suicide.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

rainbow

Quote from: IowaMom on September 07, 2012, 10:03:59 AM

rainbow I agree 100%.  This having the teacher read labels is NOT working. I'm really surprised it's working for these other students and not us, but I guess it is what it is. 

Yeah, you will see lots of this...most parents will be more laid back and not check things for themselves, let their kids eat bakery foods or home baked foods from others, etc.  But every time there is a story in the news of a tragic case of anaphylaxis, the parent says "We thought her / his allergy was mild...."

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview