FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Delta - new changes as of June 1st  (Read 10117 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Delta - new changes as of June 1st
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/services_travelers_disabilities/special_concerns/index.jsp
Peanut Allergies

When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll create a buffer zone of three rows in front of and three rows behind your seat. Effective on flights operating June 1, 2012 and beyond, when you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we’ll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard your flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.

Gate agents will be notified in case you'd like to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area. We'll do everything we can, but unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MommyOfTwo+1

Re: Delta - new changes as of June 1st
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
 :thumbsup: I think I will be printing this up and keeping it handy the next time we are flying!

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »
Great!

I'm guessing that part of the process is making sure it's noted in your reservation. Though, why bother will all the extra paperwork and just DON'T SERVE PEANUTS?

I'm glad though, it opens up an airline for me for business.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
Wow--I was NOT expecting that. If it's for real, and they're consistent about it, and they clean well, that would really open up travel options...
The 3 is silent.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
I can start saving $100/plane ticket! We are close to a Delta hub but have to fly more expensively due to peanuts. Sometimes it has just been painful to pay the extra for a nut-free flight but I never wanted to repeat another airborne reaction again. Never.

Alright---FDA response on the Epi ad, Delta moving from buffers to entire flights.......fantastic week!
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
Has anyone flown Delta since this went into effect? How was it?
The 3 is silent.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
I'm flying delta tomorrow. I will update asap.

I will say that all of my conversations with them over the phone with their disability hotline have been wonderful.  I called yesterday to double check that I was tagged as nut allergy, and they were super friendly, and didn't seem to mind checking it again. You can also see the tag on your reservations online, which was nice too.

Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

SweetandSour2.0

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Just a quick comment...Delta was amazing. Knew the policies,no issues.preboarding. All the staff was amazing.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
Delta was amazing. 

No nuts served, they offered to announce it to other passengers, and everyone knew the policy. They let us pre-board to wipe seats down, and it was safe as can be. :)

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for Delta to permanently REMOVE peanuts from their inflight snack service:  Delta is Atlanta, Georgia based.  Peanuts are big cash crop & heavy lobby influence out of Georgia.   ;)

It seems, however, that Delta has decided to make some policy change that may be positive and helpful for some in the PA community.  For those of us fortunate to have a REAL CHOICE as to which airlines we can and will fly, well . . . there are still the options of airlines who CEASED all peanut service more than a decade ago, e.g United , among others.   For those of us travelling with small children and/or level of reaction such that heavy residue on surfaces and in the plane's air system might be a problem, travelling on these other airlines where aircraft aren't filled with peanuts except for the accommodating flight -- the ZERO-peanuts-service airline -- is often the best and/or ONLY option.

And, well, hot-damn if the Delta crews and employees were actually INFORMED and HELPFUL and

ACCOMMODATING !!

THAT is big change from Delta, IMHO.

Big!

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:10:06 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Tanner

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
Just got done traveling with Delta.  My son has life threatening nut allergies (pistachios and cashews).  I was very pleased at how we got to board early to wipe down his seat.  It also gave me time to explain our situation to the flight attendant. I recommend that you tell flight attendent to announce a couple of times for passengers to refrain from opening anything that contains nut or peanuts before they flight takes off.  One flight we were on waited until we were in the air to make any announcement.  Once we said something on our other flights, they announced it earlier.  I did have one pilot give me a hard time and said they could not say it was a nut free flight.  Only peanut free.  He made the flight attendent change what he was saying.  He couldn't say "nut free". He made the attendent change what he was saying to "peanut free".  I need to check on that because I was very upset at that. 

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 02:39:11 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I'll be interested to hear more from tree nut allergic people who are flying Delta. DH has said he may want to fly the next time we go on vacation and after 3 day drives, I'm all for it. Even though it would mean renting a vehicle I think that would be ok since we have, until our current vehicle, always bought used cars.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »
Flew delta from PA to AZ yesterday for a wedding. They did a wonderful job.

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
Used delta again to come home yesterday. Still fantastic.

I have told them about tree nuts, but they only sell them on loooong flights,so i wasnt too terribly concerned.

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

bred65

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
I've traveled many airline and I have had excellent and bad encounters with all of them. There are many factors that are completely out of your management, and out of the airline's management.