FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hazing with PB  (Read 3202 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hazing with PB
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
Having a reaction worthy of epinephrine does not sound "minor."  Wow.   Those who participated in this hazing ritual really ought to understand how fortunate they all are that the allergic student didn't die.  At any rate, this was not mere 'hazing.'  This was a hate crime.  The news reports certainly make it sound as though the PB was reserved for the allergic squad member.  As noted-- hate crime.  That's targeting based upon known disability.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865555881/Ogden-High-cheerleaders-suspended-after-hazing-incident.html
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
i thought the same thing about it being called "mild" but epinephrine was used.

In the reports I read earlier today, it didn't seem clear if they knew one of the girls was allergic or not.  Imagine.the.terror. that poor girl must have felt in that situation.  If someone was smearing pb on my kid, he would lose his mind. 

Stupid thing to do.
I thought hazing was out of vogue these days?  Guess not.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »
Not out of vogue.  But as it's not allowed, it tends to go under the radar.  Either the kids are more careful not to get caught, or the school doesn't want to look bad, so they deal with it quietly (our school is likely to go with the second option, because that's how they handle everything).
USA

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:02 AM »
Looks like the story has been changed.  I click on the link and don't see any reference to FAs now.  Weird.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »
lakeswimmer- you might want to try again, I just reread both articles and still say the girl was PA

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »
from the link in CM post
"We had a young lady with a peanut allergy, and had to use her (epinephrine) pen," Corby said, noting that the students probably didn't think of the risks they were causing. "You think something's going to be very innocent but it turned out to be very dangerous."

Committee Member Hermes

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
The fox news had it at the top but didn't mention the epi pen.  I didn't click on the other that did so didn't see where that was coming from (the desert news link mentions she used her epi pen).  Got it now.  The TV news story (video) didn't seem to mention the allergy.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
sort of feel like the bigger story is hazing, not assault with a deadly weapon.   ~)

I've actually talked to dh about how frightening I find it thinking about ds being in a fraternity.  I remember in college my boyfriend was in a fraternity and I know there were all sorts of hazing rituals, antics etc. going on. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:44:53 AM by Mfamom »

Committee Member Hermes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
Yes.  Dh was in a fraternity.  I did not know him then, but lots of hazing sorts of stuff.  My brother was in the fraternity at Dartmouth which was the model for "Animal House."  It was crazy. 

It still goes on.  There are always stories. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline rysmom

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:42 PM »
horrible. just horrible.

In first grade, I had a panic attack when I was told by the teachers aide that a boy chased Ry around the playground trying to smear pb on her. We were having a class party that afternoon. I immediately talked to the mom not so calmly about it. The mom SCREAMED at her kid in front of the whole class. Screamed. No one else has tried it since.
me -Latex, avocados, bananas,AND everything outside (at least the 56 things they tested me for) :(
Ry(19)- peanuts, Omnicef, PABA, wheat, corn, sesame. Outgrew eggs, soy, strawberries & tree nuts.

Dallas, TX area