imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School policy vs. putting it in a 504  (Read 2346 times)

Description:

Offline MomTo3

School policy vs. putting it in a 504
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
We are getting ready for our first 504 meeting.  I am wondering if they say something is school policy (I know they said no food treats for birthdays and no food in class lessons is school policy) do I still include those in our 504?  I just worry that school policy isn't enforced well (this is K for us so I have no idea how well they stick to things!)

Offline yelloww

Re: School policy vs. putting it in a 504
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »
Absolutely include them! You never know when that policy could change. And if they tell you it is school policy already, you can reply with "well then it shouldn't be an issue to have it added to my documents as well"

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
The easiest way to accomplish including "school policy" into a 504 (or IEP) is to have a printed out copy of the "official" policy (and the announcements of such in the school newsletter, letters hoem to parents, and/or other district publications) and "move" to include these documents in the 504.

How could they possibly argue with including "policy" to which they signed up to enforcing and upholding, KWIM (know what I mean)?

Hold their feet to the fire.  Politely, but firmly.

:thumbsup:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
Yeah, this is what I was thinking.

Now I know this sounds totally like a noob but....is the 504 actually written? I see things stating you can tape record it for your records in some cases but is there a written/signed one that is given to pertinent players?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
I'd strongly lobby for one in writing.

The reason is not just that it (obviously) avoids he-said-oh-no-he-didn't for YOU, but also that it protects the SCHOOL by clearly laying out everyone's responsibilities in writing.  This (contrary to what some schools seem to think) may actually help them LIMIT liability exposure in the event of the unthinkable.

This way, there is also a document which can be shared with...

well, anyone new to the team that interacts with or has a duty of care for your child.  It's MUCH better for the school to have it in writing.  Less opportunity for confusion about who is supposed to be doing what and when. 

Also less way for outsiders to 'push' on accommodations that way, since it's clear that it's part of a 504 plan and the administration has that backing in writing.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
Yes, get it in your 504 plan.

Also, school "policy" is usually GUIDELINES.  Policy is formally documented as such.  The word "policy" is often used in this context when in actuality they are guidelines, which are less formal and "only" guidelines (ie, they can be followed or not, with little/no consequence).