FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: teen denied inhaler  (Read 6076 times)

Description: no paperwork

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
teen denied inhaler
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
If this was my son, I'd be in jail today!  OMGosh

http://www.wesh.com/r/31099120/detail.html
School Nurse Denies Teen Inhaler, Mother Says

POSTED: 5:19 pm EDT May 22, 2012
UPDATED: 5:22 pm EDT May 22, 2012

DELTONA, Fla. -- The mother of a Deltona High School student said her son was denied his inhaler by the school nurse while he suffered from an asthma attack.

"I'm sitting out in the hallway begging for air. I shouldn't have to do that," Deltona High School Student Michael Rudi said.

Rudi, 17, said his albuterol inhaler was taken from him after a search of his backpack last Friday.

School officials said he did not have the proper paperwork to have the inhaler. Rudi said the inhaler was in it's original packaging and had his name on it.

When Rudi suffered an asthma attack, the school nurse called the teen's mother, Susan Rudi, who told the nurse to call 911.

"I told her to call 911, I'm on my way. She said 'I'm leaving at 2 p.m.' She didn't want to help my child," Rudi said.

Rudi said her son had collapsed by the time she got to the school.

"'Michael. Michael. Get up. Get up. I'm here. Let's get your medicine,' and he's going like this, choking for air. And she stood in the window looking down on him, doing nothing," Rudi said.

Michael Rudi said the incident was frightening.

"I was so scared. I saw my mom. I cried and thanked her for saving my life," he said.

Susan Rudi said she filed complaints with the Sheriff's Office, the State Licensing Board and the School Board. She said she wants the nurse out of the school.

"I want her to do time. It's criminal. How dare they deny my child of air," she said.

Rudi said she called the school Tuesday, and they told her the incident could have been a case of misplaced paperwork.

Student Health Services is investigating to make sure all proper procedures were followed.

Volusia County Health Services Coordinator Cheryl Selesky said that, according to a Florida state statute, a child can carry their metered dose inhalers while at school with written permission and physician authorization, which Rudi did not have.

"If the student was in severe distress, 911 would have been called for emergency medical assistance," Selesky said.

Selesky said she was unaware if anyone at the school called 911 during the incident.
Copyright 2012 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/31099120/detail.html#ixzz1vn5Vy4EZ
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

Re: teen denied inhaler
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Volusia County school district strikes again.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »
 :rant:
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
They took his inhaler away on Friday.  What day did this happen? 

The ball was dropped long before the asthma attack. 

Did the school contact parents (or police) when they took the inhaler away from him?  Did he tell his parents it had been taken away?  Shouldn't both school and parent at that time (Friday) have realized the school didn't have the paper work?

And most importantly.....being a nurse, seeing a student having an asthma attack, and having an inhaler that says it is prescribed for that student....at most, wouldn't a verbal instruction to administer be sufficient?  I mean...call the parent, tell them what's happening and say "Do you give permission for your son to use his inhaler?"

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
at the very least get some medical help in route.  Call 911
at worst case, put the inhaler on your desk wink and walk out for a minute so you aren't "giving it to him".
How a human being can sit there and watch a person in distress and in jeopardy of dying while you hold his meds over some paperwork just blows my mind. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
OMG, I would be in jail and she would be in the hospital!  This goes beyond following protocol. Her behavior is cold, uncaring and well, I probably can't say it here.  Unbelievable.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
I'm glad he's ok, but isn't a little late in the school year to just discover the paperwork wasn't complete?

I've asked our nurse point blank if a child was having an allergic reaction and didn't have an epi, what would she do?  She said she could not sit by and watch a child in an emergency situation knowing she had medicine in her office that could help them.  She said she'd deal with the consequences later, but saving a child was first priority.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
Wow.  :o

If the family's account of what took place is in any way,shape, or form accurate...

WTF is wrong with this person??   :rant: :paddle:

There's a special place in HELL for anyone that would watch a child suffering/dying while under their duty of care and do nothing to help that child.   

This nurse needs to find another line of work.  Period.

ON a more pragmatic note, there are two lessons to be learned from this:

• DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT.  Cross EVERY t and dot every i so that your child is "officially" allowed access to emergency meds at school.  Even if you think it seems like overkill, or if school administrators treat you like week-old roadkill in the process... DO IT ANYWAY.
  • Schools really ought to be SEEKING out families for item 1, here.  Whose a$$ would have been on the line if this child had DIED before his mother showed up, hmm?  I'm thinking that "not following protocol" kind of pales in comparison to "criminal negligence" and "wrongful death settlement."  Schools are being STOOOOOOPID in the extreme when they open themselves up to this kind of liability.  Ignorance doesn't absolve them of their duty of care.  Not in the least.  Child-find, in fact, says that they HAVE TO GO HUNTING FOR THESE KIDS.  'Not knowing' is just as wrong as not acting on information that they do have, when you get right down to it, because they SHOULD know.  That's like arguing that you didn't KNOW that a bunch of high schoolers weren't of age when you served them liquor because you didn't ask to see ID   :dunce:  Morons.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
I'm glad he's ok, but isn't a little late in the school year to just discover the paperwork wasn't complete?

I'm not sure if it was this article or another about the same incident, but it sounded like the mom had assumed the paper work from previous years was still on hand and acceptable.  It's the same school, same student, same diagnoses, same prescription.

Our school makes it clear they do NOT keep the forms and says you have to resubmit them in September.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
And see, this is where a 504 plan is superior to healthcare forms.

Seriously.

There is NO WAY that the school could have "not carried over" forms and pretended as though they had never known that the child had asthma... if the condition were covered under a 504 plan.  They'd have been obligated to SEEK OUT information from the family.  Specifically.

:disappointed:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
I admit as much as I loathed our elem. school nurse, she was ON TOP of the paperwork.  One year, there was a mixup at the dr with his forms and they left out the permission paper for the inhaler. 
(there was literally 12 pages relating to his medications, plans etc.)
she called me right away and told me she needed it

Regardless of paperwork though, I just cannot imagine someone like the nurse in this story.  I'll admit, 2 times I have been at sports and seen a kid having asthma attack and no inhaler.  Both times the parents were there and I handed them my ds inhaler.  I'd rather have my a** in jail than see one of my ds team mates in that condition or worse. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
One year I apparently didn't give the school paperwork for the asthma nebulizere since DS rarely needs them (uses inhalers or nebulizer less for about one asthma event every two years!)  He had asthma at home and I requested the school nurse give him his nebulizer mid-day.  She agreed. I  got a call soon after telling me she had the paperwork for the inhalers but not the neb.  She called his pediatrician and had him fax the paperwork asap and she gave him the neb!  Good nurse, hu? 

I can't imagine what this nurse was thinking.  Who knows her side of the story but if what this woman says is accurate she should have at the least called 911. 

Offline Momcat

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
I'm wondering if the nurse thought he was faking... and why his locker was searched... seems like there's more to the story.  Even so, it seems that the nurse handled the situation poorly.
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
Even if that's what she thought, whats up with no assessment?  She's a nurse!  She could have quickly assessed him and done a lot of things differently.

also, many high schools have "surprise" locker checks.  they could have found it during a routine check. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
I'm also unsure as to why she couldn't get permission to administer over the phone.  When I was a camp director, we'd have kids show up frequently with incorrectly completed health forms.  We would call the parents and get their permission to administer meds and the like over the phone - we took the precaution of making sure that there were two people on the phone as witnesses, but we were told this was an acceptable solution.