imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 5014 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: I need help
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Linking to this following thread & its resource NOT to incite you to file with OCR, but rather for you to read that blog and the accompanying info as to OCR's recent ruling on a case as to violations of 504 procedure:

Filing a complaint with OCR

(Personally, I do think your school and district need some serious guidance/assistance from OCR.  Just my opinion!)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »
I would make your letter function at least in part as a Letter of Understanding--especially if you have none of this stuff in writing.  That is, in letter form, you will want to lay out the facts--your understanding of exactly what has happened.  You'll want to be as descriptive and devoid of emotion as possible. 

This will give you some documentation--especially if they don't respond with corrections by your indicated date. 

As an aside (and I think this will give you no extra traction), I wonder how Planter's likes their copyrighted logo being used by another party and for this purpose?

Really, what the school is doing is horrid.  I hope you find a workable situation.  Soon.

:heart: 

Here's an example from this thread:  504 index - Communicating with the school - writing, documenting
New here, but need help before meeting with principal
For clarity, the "letter of understanding" is a method of documenting verbal weaseling that happens in e-mails, but mostly in meetings, conversations, and phone calls.

An example of how it can be used:

Mr. Malevolent Administrator,

I appreciated our conversation after school today (date).  It was enlightening.  I need to make sure that I have understood our conversation correctly, however, so I am following up with you in this letter/e-mail.

When I asked about including disabled children in the considerations in our new playground design, you responded that those kinds of children should be happy just to be included in the educational activities at school in the first place, and that a wheelchair ramp was going to add a lot to the project's initial costs.  When I expressed surprise that the committee had not researched ADA compliance, you promised to "look into it" at some point this week.

I want to thank you for your willingness to find out more information about ADA compliance as it pertains to the new playground.  Can you let me know what you learn?   

My apologies if I have misunderstood our conversation, or left anything important out.  If I have not had a response from you by {date} then I will assume that my understanding expressed above is correct and complete.

Thanks so much,

Mrs. Why-yes-I-AM-that-big-a-pain

DOCUMENTING  (cya) 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

untold

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
I thought of this thread the other day.

We are deep into the grey area of FA, having passed an IOFC yet still having symptoms (itchy tongue, hives, swollen eye - allergist thinks probably just contact rxn, I'm watching like a hawk). 

We met with the school nurse and she had prepared an allergy bracelet for dd (stating her specific allergy) to wear at school.  This school has some excellent policies in place, and I didn't sense that they wanted anything but to keep the children safe, yet they were totally unaware that there was a problem with this policy.  I mentioned FERPA and how this could also present a danger to the child having this info widely known ... she seemed to agree.  I will probably gently give her a few printouts in a few days when I see her again.  It's not an issue for us personally at the moment since dd won't be wearing it.