FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Does your school work over the summer?  (Read 2758 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Does your school work over the summer?
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
Does your school (district) office do ANYTHING during the summer months? 

If so, what? 

Ours (mostly) does nothing at all-- so after the week following the last day of school, phhhhhhhhttthhhhhht.  That's it until August, a week before classes start.

What do other schools do?

I'm also wondering how much of this is regional-- if you don't mind stating your rough geography, that's helpful as well.  We're in the American Pacific Northwest.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Does your school work over the summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Nope.  Thanks to budget cutbacks there is no access to school personnel from the day school ends until the day before (and only for the hour that allows for "Open House").

Frustrating.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
They run camps and community related activities. We're an indie in the Northeast.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
Not really.  Administration is in a few days a week.  Even DH thought guidance worked some time over the summer, but we found out otherwise with this whole 504 scramble. The 504 coordinator is the guidance counselor and he told me he would check his email, but not daily. <sigh>
Growing up, my school district was the same way...we took over the middle school for band camp and most days it was just us and the secretary!

We're NE Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »
the schools and the district are open except for a few weeks in the middle of the summer when all the administration take vacation.  Summer school programs are going on and the school office personnel are working; the superintendent's office/central district office is open as well.  The school office personnel are there until later in June and then they are working again at the beginning of August.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Our is similar to GP's.  We used to have a camp called KIP (knowledge is power) that was the first 2 weeks of june (9-12pm), but they couldn't find enough teachers to teach it this year. 

Offline yelloww

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
Ours are in the ofc 4 days a week. They have a ton to do in the summers it seems!

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:30:33 AM »
I know our school secretary is there all summer.  I think maybe she takes a week or so off.  She is quite busy in the summer getting all the forms in order, making sure class assignments are correct, dealing with families just moving into town (that was us 9 years ago), creating the bus routes, etc. 

I know the superintendent is available during the summer as well. A few years ago, I had contacted her about the end of a program that had been announced at the end of the school year.  She met with me, and another concerned parent, and the program was back, being run by volunteers, led by me. 

Last year I also ran into the principal in town during the summer.  He lives pretty far, so i knew he was working that day if he was a mile from the school.  He mentioned that he had a lot to do.

There is also a summer program at one of the elem. schools. That is only about half the summer. 

And the custodians are there all summer long as well.  Doing the stuff that can't get done while the kids are there every day (moving everything out of the classroom to do a thorough cleaning, waxing floors, major maintenance). 
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:24 AM »
Teachers and office staff are in school a week or two after school finishes, and they return a week before school starts.  Due to collective agreement, I could NOT book an appointment with a teacher prior to first day of school.

Custodial staff works through the summer...complete clean down of the school.

Some schools rent out parts of the school for summer camps, swimming lessons, etc.  But other then actual "summer school" for students at risk of failing, the summer stuff is not associated with the school board.

I don't know whether the school board offices are open during summer or not.

(I'm in Canada.)