login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Another Dumb 504 Question  (Read 3763 times)

Description: What to expect at the first meeting

Offline MomTo3

Another Dumb 504 Question
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
We have our first 504 meeting tomorrow.  This is our first every so I am not sure what to be "armed" with. 

Will we just be going over hie eligibility or the actual "plan"? 

What do I need to take for the former?  Anything I can show them if they say he isn't eligible?

Thanks  and wish us luck! (DH took off the rest of the afternoon because he's worried about my mental state if the meeting doesn't go well ;) )

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Another Dumb 504 Question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
Check out Wrightslaw--

look for the Letter to Gloucester. (it may be in a link here, too-- you could try searching the term)
  That alone should demonstrate that a life-threatening food allergy is a qualifying condition.

You'll also need some MEDICAL documentation which attests that your child's allergy is life-threatening in nature. 

Remember-- eligibility FIRST.  No, no, no, no accommodations talk BEFORE eligibility is determined/evaluated.  Gently steer back to that if they try to get ahead of things into specific accommodations as a test of whether or not a 504 is "needed" or not. 

Also-- DO NOT grant unfettered access to your child's physician or medical records.  They don't need it.

One more--

Do NOT sign a waiver of anything-- particularly not a waiver which limits their obligation to administer life-saving medications.  Period.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Good luck!!

They may establish eligibility quickly, then move on to the plan/accomodations. 

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:23:17 AM »
Test results and/or letter from dr should establish eligibility.  Our first meeting was making the plan, but the nurse and I spent the better part of the summer finishing it.  My son was the first student in the district to have a 504 for food allergy, so we started from scratch.

Good luck!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
Good advice.  I remember the principal asking what accommodations I needed and I politely said, so that means you find him eligible (since you're asking what accommodations he needs?)   ;)

They deemed him eligible in the meeting and we did move on to planning accommodations.  I basically wrote his 504 plan based on samples I'd seen.  They made some changes, we tweaked it, planned how to implement it etc.  Luckily, I had a smooth process. 

Getting ready to do 504 for High School.  Can't believe it.
Good Luck!!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline joanna5

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
I agree with making sure that you focus on eligibility first, then accommodations.  Also, practice this line- "Oh, so if that's already school policy, it should be *no* problem to add it to his 504."  I know I used it a lot in our first meeting.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
Well....

We had our 504 meeting and it went really well! They didn't even question eligibility.  We provided 2 Dr's letters when I sent in the request for the evaluation so they had most of it already all filled out.  We went right into the plan itself. There is only one thing we weren't totally happy with but are willing to try to work through it.  I am the room Mom so that's good!  There is no food in the class at all (except for class parties which I am partially in charge of :)

I am still waiting on the district to get back to me about the paperwork.  I am trying to decide how much time to give them before calling again. 

Thanks again for all the help and guidance through this! 

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Glad it went well  :thumbsup:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Excellent!!

I think that it's a sign of the times that so many districts are starting to know that eligibility isn't really at issue in a child with a LTFA.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your plan works out as well as y'all are hoping.  It sounds like you have a good team.   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.