Robertson's Candy

Started by SilverLining, June 13, 2012, 07:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

Robertson's Candy

This is the greatest candy ever made.  I haven't had any for a few years because it's really hard to find outside of the maritimes.  Now that they have their web-site up, it'll make ordering easier. :happydance:  They do ship outside of Canada.

This is the Christmas candy I grew up with.  It's what Satin Mix is supposed to taste like.  Each candy with it's own unique yummy flavour.  But the Clear Toys are the best.  But I want to try some of their newer stuff....salt taffee sponge toffee.....so much candy so little time.

And the bottom of each page says peanut and gluten free.

Jessica

Thanks! Is it tree nut free too (not counting coconut)?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

SilverLining

I would suggest either calling or sending an e-mail to verify that.  I see nothing with any nuts in their product line.

I called them many years ago and asked if they had nuts in their facility....and the guy said "only the ones on the payroll".   :rofl: 

SilverLining

Just got off the phone with them.

The stuff listed on the Confection page (soft stuff like the coconut marshmallow candies and toffees) are outsourced and have a peanut warning on the package.

Everything else is peanut/nut and gluten free.

I requested he add the peanut warning on the web page as their current page says their factory made products are peanut and gluten free, but the average consumer wouldn't know which products they are.  He agreed and said he'd add that info to that page.

Jessica

Well that's disappointing. I got this email today. No mention at all of any warnings for peanut. The maple and salt water taffy candy was what dd was interested in but apparently it's not safe. Here's the email I got:

We do have a toasted coconut product but we do not have any tree nuts,
peanut oils or gluten in our candy making facility.

Thanks

Sidney Hollett
Manager
Ph:   (902)-895-1708
Fax: (902)-897-0213
sales@rcandy.com
www.rcandy.com

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jessica

I've looked all over their website and there's no mention in any place at all that they don't make all the candy in their own facility. I'm not sure I'd trust any of it-they don't sound like they really get it IRT allergies.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

SilverLining

Those are the two I was hoping to try as well...maple and salt water.

My husband phoned me from Moncton last night.  He found them in a store and said those packages do clearly state may contain on them. 

He did find some of the NaturalTreats and bought them for me...but won't tell what flavours.  I'll get surprised when he gets home today.

~~~~~

Jessica, I did point put to Sidney that their website needs to clarify that the stuff not made in their facility is may contain.  The page hasn't been updated yet as far as I can see, but he said it will be.  In speaking with him on the phone, he really did seem to "get it".  He was the one who said some people are so sensitive they react to even tiny traces, and he said the other candy arrives fully packaged, so it doesn't go through the same bagging equipment or anything.  (He pointed that out without me asking.)

But, if my contact had been the e-mail you got, I wouldn't be buying their stuff either.

Jessica

I think if I was buying locally, it wouldn't bother me as much. I'm just glad I didn't order right away and end up buying something I wouldn't be able to use. Only dd is allergic but I won't bring anything unsafe for her in the house.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

SilverLining

I'm glad I posted the info before you placed an order.

This has made one thing clear to me.  If I ever order candy on-line, I will specify to the company that I am ordering because it is peanut free.  There are a lot of companies that sell product on-line that they do not make themselves (for example canadiansweets).  If a product is listed on line as peanut-free, but manufacturing has changed, it would be the obligation of them to verify the label if they know it's an allergic customer ordering.

I am sorry this didn't work out, and especially sorry that your daughter was disappointed by it. :'(

Robertson's Candy Inc.

I read the link, there is definitely some wrong interpretation of the facts. Again we do not make any product with peanut oils or with gluten in them. We outsource very little here and are very serious about our Natural products. We are disappointed and concerned about the miss interpreted information. The Toasted Coconuts are an outsourced product and the packaging clearly states that they may contain palm oils. I also noticed that 74 people already looked at the site. Our concern is that people would get the wrong impression about our products. You should also note that our web site clearly states that: "All of our factory made candy products are Peanut Oil and Gluten Free!" 

SilverLining

But, on-line people cannot tell what is factory made and what is not.  Those not familiar with your product would assume all of it is factory made.

I think I mentioned, my husband did find some of the other candy and said it is very clearly marked "may contain",

And by the way....Thank you for making the greatest candy ever, and keeping it peanut free.  You managed to increase your product line (from just the original Christmas candies) without removing them from my safe list.   :)

Jessica

This thread came up when I was searching for something else. They never put this information on their website-it still says all factory made is nut free but nowhere does it let people know which ones are and are not factory made. I don't think they really get it after all.  :(
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview