FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lunch Boxes-Work and what to pack?  (Read 4084 times)

Description:

Offline anxious2008

Lunch Boxes-Work and what to pack?
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
Not sure where to post this. But when looking at kids lunch boxes they look flimsy like that wouldn't keep food cold till their lunch. Seeing which lunch boxes keep the food cold and some ideas for snacks and lunches to pack.

Offline GingerPye

Re: Lunch Boxes-Work and what to pack?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
After many trials of lunch boxes and bags, I settled on NY Built bags.  I can wash them in the washer --- which is my hands-down favorite thing about them.  I wash them on delicate with just a few drops of laundry detergent and hang to dry.  They dry very quickly.

As far as keeping things cold, I think it's more important to include ice packs and/or freeze the drink or fruit or whatever will freeze easily for the lunch.  The lunch bag or box really isn't going to keep things cold all on its own for hours.  I pack my kids' lunches in the morning for lunch and I usually put a frozen drink in.  I also have some small containers that have ice packs in the lids that I use for things like fruit that I want to keep cold.

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
We either have gone with lunch boxes from the Gap that attach to their backpacks (I typically bought two or more) and I would wash them.

The last few years we've bought Land's End lunchboxes. We send them through the washing machine when they need it. They're wonderful.  I got a really roomy one this year--bought four of them. And we had three at the end of the year, which is some kind of miracle for us.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »
I like Arctic Zone lunchbags and have used them for years.  I like that they're easy to wipe down and also can go through the washing machine.  I always get a lunchbag that has two compartments.  That way, if I want some food near the ice pack, it'll stay cold; however, I still have the option of keeping some food away from the ice pack and thus not getting cold. 

hk

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
We have had great luck with the Pottery Barn lunch boxes (PB Kids or PB Teen).  They are very well-insulated, sturdy and very easy to wipe out.   They also have nice zipper compartments for utensils and a perfect place for the all-important packet of wipes!

Offline krasota

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
I pack lunch in our Laptop Lunch kit.  I can generally fit enough for two of us in it (one adult, one small child).
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
I use bento boxes with lock arms, Skip Hop thermal bags or sometimes plain old small Ziplocs inside a large Ziploc.