login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: SPIbelt? Have one? Like it?  (Read 6765 times)

Description: for kids self carry

twinturbo

SPIbelt? Have one? Like it?
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
DS1 turned 6 so I'm looking for him to start the idea of self-carrying. I'm looking at SPIbelts right now and they look like for a boy it might be about perfect. I have about $80 worth of other types I've tried that aren't really great so if anyone has one I'd love to hear about it.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: SPIbelt? Have one? Like it?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
I have been planning on ordering 1 or 2 also.  Ajasfolk2 has talked about liking them in the past.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
I ordered one just now. Some are on clearance and there is a free ship code. I did not have to pay sales tax. Will review when it arrives in 7-10 days.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
Ok, so just measured DS's waist and it's 22 1/2 inches on bare skin.  So he's essentially at the end of the kids size and not quite to an adult. 
Do I just order the adult size and hope for the best?

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
Love them. 

One important thing to remember -- if child carries a house key, the key needs to be wrapped in something (baggie?) if child is extremely active or not-so-careful, as the key can tear the fabric.

One epi-pen in child-sized belt is often best -- esp if child is small-waisted.

In adult belt, two epi's fits snugly & zips a-ok.

The clearance area has the "nonlogo" spibelts on sale?  Woot!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:18:11 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Yes, Hez, I'd go with the adult size if at top of child size.  Should be OK.

My son wears his outside his shorts/jeans but under the shirt, so not on bare skin.

The straps are super stretchy and soft.

The dual pocket sport belt will hold small cellphone or inhaler in the 2nd pocket (or keys and an ID too . . . )

Just LOVE!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:14:58 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
Yes. Love it. Small profile. BUT the hinge on the epi rubs against the fabric and eventually tears it. But instill love it. DS made modifications and sewed some padding. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
Good insider tips! I'm going to start him out on smaller stuff like a couple of bandages and hand wipes. He's in to the idea of carrying first aid kit.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
As to padding -- I'd been thinking about using a piece of neopren sewn in as lightweight padding, if needed?

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
DH uses Maxpedition bags as his manpurse medic kit those suckers are tough. I go the tactical route with the guys so as not to offend their manliness. There's a term 'EDC' Every Day Carry with a whole slew of bags designed around it. Really they are perfect for medical EDC for guys but unless it's either a larger boy or full grown man it's cumbersome. They're another solid choice, circumstances withstanding.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
David uses this.  He's 7 1/2, but his waist is 22 1/2 inches, too.  We had the adult one at first and it would adjust down far enough, but always worked its way loose within a day or two.  When we found out about the kids' size, we grabbed it and it's worked out much better.  It stays in place better, especially when he runs and plays.  He carries two Epis in it.  We started him self carrying last summer.  He carried the SPI belt, but I also kept a set with me (we had an extra because school was out).  That was our "training period", so to speak.  He's great about it- I think he's forgotten it maybe once in the last two or three months.  We hang it on the doorknob of the door leading from the family room to our garage.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
I bought one but I do not I let my son use it.  The zipper on it is terrible and does not stay tightly closed.  The belt is really nice and it is small, but the zipper makes it not usable for us.  Perhaps it may be okay on older kids or adults who don't move around as much but for little guys who are always moving it really doesn't work.

I prefer to have my son use the KozyEpi that has a tight closing zipper that does not open.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
Love ours. We have the pink camo one in child's size and it adjusts to fit dd, me and my 200 lb dh.

Offline hurleyreyes

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
My son is to young to self-carry but we have an AllergyPack Pen Pal which holds our "just going out for a stroll with baby without full diaper bag" epi-pen.  A bit snug to get the epi-pen in there but I like the padding and, in terms of design, they are clearly targeting young boys:

https://www.allergypack.com/index.html

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
Ours arrived today.  I saw the pocket and thought no way is 2 epis and 2 single dose benadryl spoons going to fit in there, but it did.  Haven't tried it on DS yet.