login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Question about baked goods with egg  (Read 2820 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Question about baked goods with egg
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
Ok, so DS has really only had an itchy mouth or throat when it comes to egg reactions (other than when he was 1 and barfed it up), so my instinct is to give him benadryl to stop the itching.  He has eaten boxed cake mixes with the eggs added and had no problems.  I made brownies from scratch that had 2 eggs in it and he tried one today.  Was fine and then about 5 minutes later said mouth was itchy, but nothing else.  He knew there was egg in the recipe since I wouldn't let him try them yesterday because we had a swim meet from 6 to 9:30 pm last night.  So is it the power of suggestion or truly an itchy mouth?  And why would cake be ok and not brownies?

We are currently changing doctors so haven't had our summer allergist appt yet.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Question about baked goods with egg
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
Well, brownies are probably a more concentrated source, and they are generally also not quite as well-cooked (in terms of both temperature and time)-- an itchy mouth is one of those things that we were told to put up with as we went along.

I have habitually (over the past 18 months) OVER-cooked our batches of brownies-- I cook them about 30 minutes, and standard time is only about 20.  Even at 30, sometimes the center feels (to me) uncomfortably 'not-well-enough-cooked' and I wind up only using the OUTER 2/3's of the pan as doses.  DH and I just eat the center.   :misspeak:

Unless it's more than itchiness, or it goes on for longer than a few minutes (DD initially found that she would have oral itching/tingling for as much as 30-40 minutes each day), I wouldn't worry too much about it.  (But that is just me, and DD has always been on a daily dose of antihistamine to begin with, fwiw.)

Does that help?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about baked goods with egg
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »
Makes sense...so I guess I need to force him to eat another brownie and see what happens.  Can't be today, he has a birthday party that he is looking forward to attending.  I actually made the brownies to take somewhere else and kept the edge for us based on that it would be more "done" than the middle.