imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Nut, dairy and egg free alternatives to Goldfish?  (Read 10798 times)

Description:

Offline Irene

Nut, dairy and egg free alternatives to Goldfish?
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
Any quick suggestions?  I am helping with snacks at our VBS this week and would like to make the snacks for the kids with allergies similar (or even better) than the snacks for kids without allergies.
Thanks!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Nut, dairy and egg free alternatives to Goldfish?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
My first thought was oyster crackers, but I couldn't find ingredients online.

I did find these (links to ingredient labels):
Nabisco Premium Mini Saltines
or Teddy Grahams
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
We've used Chex as a substitute at home -> always read the label. This is assuming you're controlling properly for cross-contamination as well as the kids not getting each others snacks purposefully or accidentally.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
Several crackers are good - Triscuits and Wheat Thins come to mind. (Oyster crackers usually have milk.) The Lorna Doone 100 calorie packs are milk-free, not sure about egg. Oreos are good.

Saw this on Facebook...doesn't get much more adorable than this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150853102596582&set=a.10150243771801582.323268.50430221581&type=1&theater
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline Linden

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
Keebler is another option since they label for shared equipment and nuts.  (I don't know about dairy and egg - the cookies seem to be very consistently labeled for dairy and egg but not sure about the crackers.)

We have eaten the Keebler Townhouse Regular and Keebler Townhouse Reduced Fat (not the Pretzel ones, they have milk in them) a lot with no problems.  There's also a few nut-dairy-egg free versions of the Keebler Club crackers and the Keebler Club Mini's.

Enjoy Life just came out with a line of chips that is Top-8 free.  I've never seen them in stores, though.
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline Ree

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »
I think Teddy Grahams is the closest you can get to a fun alternative.   If there's only a handful of kids with allergies, the Barnum individual box of animal crackers are cool for the younger kids.

Goldfish are hard to match, IMO.   :-/

BTW - Those are the allergies we have been working with for 8 years..
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:33:31 AM »
If you're trying to match the goldfish, there used to be a fish-shaped pretzel. We haven't used it in years thought.

What about Swedish Fish? They are definitely milk/egg safe.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
The goldfish brand pretzels are not safe for milk, but I'm not sure about other brands.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Irene

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions!  We ended up using a lot of Veggie Straws and Rold Gold's pretzel sticks.  There were many kids with milk allergies so we couldn't use the pretzel goldfish.  In any case, I am happy that we made it through the week and everyone was happy with their safe alternative snacks!