FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: I wish Dey (and any other epi mfgs) would give regular docs better education  (Read 3311 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

It's not really feasible for us to call or visit the allergist to get refills. He's in a town an hour away and only there a couple of days a week. So I have been, for about 15 yrs, having dd's regular doctor call in refills. The old doctor would just write a prescription that could be refilled for a year without a limit. Not sure if that's allowed anymore. But he moved to another town far away and it's like pulling teeth with the dr they have now. I called on Thursday because I accidentally left 2 of dd's epis in the car overnight (in a frio but it has been about 100 out and even in the 90s overnight and it was about 18 hours). So they never called it in and they called today but I missed them. I called and the doctor is on vacation for 2 weeks and after a 20 minute phone call, a round of 20 questions, and a promise that they would "investigate" why I needed a refill after we just got 2 pens in January (this after I explained how I accidentally left them in the car and they asked me why we store them in the car) and no refill. They finally did call back but would only give a refill for 2 pens even though I explained about how we like to keep two different lot numbers and how we keep 2 at home and 2 with her, yadda yadda. It's like this EVERY single time we have to have a refill. They make us feel like we're drug-seeking or something.

Needless to say we will start looking for a new doctor but there are very few here that take new patients.  :pout:
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online YouKnowWho

My personal physician will only give 6mo of meds now and if I haven't been seen in 6mo, then I have to make an appt.  It's a racket.  I understand with some meds that need to be monitored but meds like my asthma inhaler (used when ill or during the big bloom) or my sleep meds (when I was on them) don't really fall into that category. 

I have had to fight with the pharmacy more - why do you need so many.  Usually because I refill our personal supply and the school supply at the same time so that is 5-6 doubles and I am picky enough to ask for a decent expiration date.  New insurance company doesn't allow us to use Walgreens so now I get to deal with CVS, ugh.  I refill from a 24hr location in case of emergency and prefer a company that is widely located.  CVS and I don't get along - they once promised a refill of DH's asthma inhaler before closing and then tried to close 15 minutes early without refilling.  I wouldn't have bugged but DH needed it due to people burning leaves.

If you do get a hold of the dr, you may want to suggest that certain rescue meds such as Epi's and inhalers need unlimited refills and his staff needs to know about it ASAP.  Allergists understand this (usually) but GP's are not going to get it because of the lack of volume.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online YouKnowWho

And you truly have my sympathies in feeling like a drug seeker.  I have allergies to most otc pain relievers so when Tylenol doesn't cut it, I struggle with many drs thinking I am drug seeking.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline maeve

Our allergist writes our EpiPen script for 99 refills.  I've never had a problem with it.  Now that said, my presciption drug plan will only fill on EpiPen prescription every 31 days.  Doesn't matter if DD's say we just replaced expired EpiPens and she had a reaction and needed a replacement; if that happened less than 31 days after the refill, we'd have to pay out of pocket or file an appeal by mail which takes at least 30 days.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:04:53 PM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
maeve, I need your allergist!   ;D

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
... but not the (sucky and arbitrary) Rx drug plan, which we also share.  <sigh> 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

maeve, I need your allergist!   ;D

We're off to see him on Thursday.  We see Dr. Wood; though the scripts are usually written by his fellows/residents.  All our allergy scripts are written that way. We're also lucky to have a pediatrician who will also write this prescriptions for us if we need them.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Online YouKnowWho

Prior insurance company would allow me to do refills within 24 hrs - so it meant going back to pharmacy three days in a row.  Wasn't a huge deal.  Wonder what Blue Cross BS will make me do now - might have to call them tomorrow.

It's weird because for one insurance company, allergist would write for 2 dual packs and it was fine - they would fill them with one copay.  Another insurance company wouldn't do it and seemed aghast that we would even dare to ask.  So I said fine, I would pay a copay for each but that is when they told me about the 24hr rule.

So insurance companies could learn a little from Dey as well...
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

Good to know about insurance. We did meet our deductible this year (don't ask-it's 11K) so I will be sure to wait in between picking them up. I may call and find out if I need to.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
if we need a refill on something, the pharmacy just calls the doctor and gets an authorization.  Our singlular is written for 3 months and when its past 3 mo, they just call no problem.  As long as we see allergist once a year (we do) not a big deal.

I love our cvs, but I see it can definitely be different from store to store.  there are 2 within 2 miles of me.  the one that is closer is HORRIBLE!  always long lines at the checkout, the pharmacy is slow etc.  store not managed well.  the other one though is awesome. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes