login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sara Lee bread  (Read 27920 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

Sara Lee bread
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Just an FYI-  Sara Lee sold their bread products (Rainbo, Iron Kids, ETC to Bimbo bakeries.  (The packages still say Sara Lee as Bimbo has permission to use the name)   I called Bimbo and was told that anyone with food allergies should avoid all their products.    >:(    I didn't even get the,  "we do an allergan" wash mumble jumbo.    Just don't buy our products. :rant:
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

twinturbo

Re: Sara Lee bread
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
Bummer on the change but thanks for putting it out there. It was on our trusted list.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Great, so Bimbo changed their tune again.  Grrr.

Are any of your products gluten-free?

None of our brands presently offers any gluten-free products. If this relates to a serious health concern for you or your family, we recommend that you consider dietary alternatives.

Okay, I know this doesn't relate to nuts but seriously was the last sentence even needed or does it seem nasty to you guys as well.

Anyway - here is a list of other Bimbo brands - looks like they have been eating up many manufacturers
http://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/our_brands/other_brands.html
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
 I just looked at the Bimbo website and they really own A LOT of brands.   At this rate I am going to be baking all of DDs bread products before long.  I did call Wonder and there are still couple of nut free bakeries in my area.  I just have to travel farther to buy my bread.  What do you all use?
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
USA

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Wonder. Chock full of bizarre ingredients but has been safe thus far. I use 87 but haven't called in a while. I think 68 is tree nuts but not peanut and 56 is peanut/treenut.

You know after checking their website FAQ they might disclose facility info like Hostess does. Let me give them a call in the morning to see if I get a similar answer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:37:47 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
That stinks. :( Luckily we don't use any of their brands but I was hoping to try some Sara Lee things. Oh well. So this only applies to the breads?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Jessica - The Sara Lee rep told me that it only applies to their bread.   They still have their other products.
USA

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
Thank you for letting us know what you learned.  Oh, I'm disappointed.  For bread, we buy Country Hearth because the last time I checked it was owned by General Mills.  But clearly these things change and I should probably check again.  But for buns we've been buying Sara Lee.  In fact, we bought some today.  Great.

Offline RaquelSA

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
FYI - Holsum is free of peanuts and treenuts. This includes Roman Meal and Aunt Hattie's.

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
Per the Bimbo website, they distribute Roman Meal bread as well,  I am not sure if that means they manufacture Roman Meal in their bakeries or not.
USA

Offline IowaMom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »
I just got off the phone with them, as we buy Sara Lee bread all of the time and DD has always eaten it without issues.  We are PA only.  The rep I talked to read me their allergen statement...basically they do advise very sensitive people with any allergies OTHER THAN PEANUT to avoid their products due to the fact that they do manufacture their products in facilities with the other allergens.  HOWEVER, she said that if the bread or any other product was manufactured in a facility with PN, it would say so on their label.  She stressed that was for PN ONLY. 
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline thejteam

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
I contacted Village Hearth and received this email:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Country Hearth and Village Hearth Breads.  Pan-O-Gold Baking Co. does not include any peanuts or tree nuts as an ingredient in any of the breads or buns we bake.  We do sell other products such as bagels and Village Hearth Slender Rounds that are baked by other baking companies for us for those I am told they too do not bake products that contain peanuts or tree nuts.  If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I then contacted Pan O Gold to make sure this covered all of their brands on their website and got another email:

This refers to any bread or buns baked by Pan-O-Gold Baking Co. as listed on the website.

So I think we will no longer be buying Sara Lee.  I know that Walmart bread by us can also read safe.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »
I am thinking that Bimbo is the brand that was manufacturer/owner for the bread we got some years back (2006?) which had walnut (OBVIOUSLY!!) in it.

The bread was supposed to be whole wheat with "wheat berries".

This would have been at original pa dot com boards, so I've no chance of researching the old posts and recalling.
We did make report to them and to lab . . . I think I sent sample?  Too long ago to recall.

~ ~ ~

We went back to bread making for 2 years after that . . .

*sigh*

Wondering if that is in the cards again for us now.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
Ughhh.

Well, the only bread that we currently buy is Kontos brand whole wheat flatbread (marketed as "pocketless pita") which is labeled very clearly as may contain sesame (for shared lines).

Other than that-- we make our own.  Sorry; DD hasn't eaten store bought bread.  Ever.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
CM:   Can you share your recipe?
USA